What's new
What's new

dragon claw pcp .50 cal bb gun?

tnmgcarbide

Diamond
how do you charge this reservoir ? 3000 psi + , scuba tank, or paintball stuff? i want to get
one of these non-firearms , but not sure of the logistics . i think they are cool as can be. and i want
one right now. my shop's 120 psi ain't going to do it. where is the best place to source such high pressure
air.....

i have no place to fire real guns , but a narrrow , suck, indoor pistol range.

I have a .22 PCP and get about 30 shots from 3000 to 2000. All depends in the size of the receiver on the gun and what fps you want to run it at but with a .50 guessing something like 5-10 per charge?

I've been charging mine off a scuba tank and got somewhere around 700 shots before that needs recharging so you might get 200ish then need to visit a scuba shop for a refill.

Haven't looked seriously into compressors but think they are fairly expensive. Other option is a hand pump if you want some trigger time AND exercise while in isolation. Think they are about 100 pumps per fill

Actually ,the compressors can be found very cheap.....I even have one saved thats a new spare for the telephone company.....Compair 3500psi water cooled ,20 hp electric motor....scrap price....Ive seen lots of the little 3000psi Ingersoll Rand V twin air cooled compressors around too.......the air force used them for something or other,and they sell for around $100 each in as new condition.....three phase motors tho ,but only 5 hp or so....im told 3000/3500 isnt enough for modern scuba ,and the units are unsaleable.....or so Ive found.

I have several PCP guns. They are NOT inexpensive. This hobby costs much more than powder burners. A top of the line PCP rifle bare is well over $2,000 and a PCP handgun is in the $1,000 range. These prices are without glass or any other kind of sight system. Then there is the cost of high pressure air. That alone can exceed $5,000. There is no such thing as cheap air. Today's airguns are rated for 250 bar (4,000 PSI). Then there is the cost of air storage carbon fiber storage tanks, filling whips, foster fittings, air filters, water separators and what not. Keep in mind that all tanks must be certified before a scuba tank service will fill them and that certification is only good for a period of time. I shoot between 20 and 50 rounds every day with just my 22 hand gun. I fill my pistol every 20 rounds from a 12 liter scuba tank to 200 bar. I get a week out of the scuba tank before I refill the scuba bottle to 235 bar with my 4 cylinder, 80 liter/min Bauer K14 compressor. The scuba bottle fill takes about 10 minutes from about 190 bar to 235 bar. There are cheap Chinese compressors that are nothing but trouble. You get what you pay for. A commercial quality high pressure compressor with a storage bank and cooling can easily set you back several thousand dollars. My FX Crown in .25 cal. probably set me back more than $3,000. Yes, pellets are cheap, but don't let that suck you in. The PCP air gun hobby is very expensive. These things are not toys 1 MOA at 100 meters is normal accuracy with significant energy as well.

Last edited:
Actually ,the compressors can be found very cheap.....I even have one saved thats a new spare for the telephone company.....Compair 3500psi water cooled ,20 hp electric motor....scrap price....Ive seen lots of the little 3000psi Ingersoll Rand V twin air cooled compressors around too.......the air force used them for something or other,and they sell for around $100 each in as new condition.....three phase motors tho ,but only 5 hp or so....im told 3000/3500 isnt enough for modern scuba ,and the units are unsaleable.....or so Ive found.

Been a while since I was into mil surplus, they used to sell quite a few of the I-R 3000psi compressors and Davey compressors that iirc were 4000psi, they used to be pretty cheap, no idea if that still holds true.

ordered 250 .5 bb's on ebay , they cancelled the seller's account the next day, perhaps
they were fishing weights. or ballast for a boat or plane..

or just hunks of lead .

john wick only needed a pencil

Actually, there's a ton of cheap HP air compressors available. For examp0les, check eBay for "PCP compressor". Many run around $250.

However, like every Chinese product, do a little research. They range from cheap crap, to pretty decent stuff. Some are slower, some are faster, some are loud, some are quieter.

There's plenty of hands-on reports by air-gunners and paintballers alike, and a list of tips and tricks to extend the life of the better ones.

I use an American-made one called a Shoebox, developed by one of the founding fathers of the sport. It works great, and can fill a typical SCUBA tank to 3K in half a day. It;ll top up a paintball tank in an hour or two.

The Shoebox is no longer manufactured, as they couldn't compete with the flood of cheap Chinese stuff. I haven't tried a Chinese compressor myself, but fellow paintballers have been generally positive about them.

Doc.

Actually, there's a ton of cheap HP air compressors available. For examp0les, check eBay for "PCP compressor". Many run around $250.

However, like every Chinese product, do a little research. They range from cheap crap, to pretty decent stuff. Some are slower, some are faster, some are loud, some are quieter.

There's plenty of hands-on reports by air-gunners and paintballers alike, and a list of tips and tricks to extend the life of the better ones.

I use an American-made one called a Shoebox, developed by one of the founding fathers of the sport. It works great, and can fill a typical SCUBA tank to 3K in half a day. It;ll top up a paintball tank in an hour or two.

The Shoebox is no longer manufactured, as they couldn't compete with the flood of cheap Chinese stuff. I haven't tried a Chinese compressor myself, but fellow paintballers have been generally positive about them.

Doc.

Doc, I'm not going to be rude and tell you your full of shit, but you need to do your research a bit more thoroughly. You get what you pay for. If you run one of those Chinese compressors for a half a day, you'll be buying a new one in short order. Shoe Box went out of business because they couldn't keep up with the warranty issues as well. They were crap. If you have been so fortunate as to not have trouble with yours, you should consider yourself very lucky.

Oy.

One, I specifically noted there's several 'grades' of compressors- many are indeed known to be cheap junk, like most Chinese products, but some, if as I said, you do a little research, can be fairly reliable.

No, none of them will ever be a Bauer, but if you're only shooting on occasion, a decent $500 compressor is better than a $5,000 compressor.

And two, the primary problem people were having with the Shoebox was they'd use their favorite gun oil, rather than the supplied silicone oil. That and they wouldn't regularly do the O-ring maintenance, and then complain when the thing wouldn't work right anymore.

But it was very much the Chinese competition that finally led Tom to close down Shoebox production. When the $300 Chinese compressors hit the market, sales of the $700-$1,100 Shoebox dried up- especially since you didn't need a shop compressor to run a Chinese one, and you did to run a Shoebox. If you didn't already have shop air, people considered that- not incorrectly- as an additional expense.

Third, it's worth noting that ALL high-pressure compressors, Bauer and the like included, are high maintenance. None of them are "plug and play". You will have to do regular service and maintenance, and often little homebrew tricks, like chilling the tank, to get the best service.

In my experience, most of the people having problems with their compressor- of whatever brand- are not or did not do their maintenance.

Anyway, barring the cost of a compressor? The best option is a SCUBA tank, and an inexpensive fill yoke. Slightly more expensive is two SCUBA tanks, and "cascade" fill- that is, you use one to fill the bulk of the tank, then use the other to "top it off".

Doc.

If the compressor is fast enough, it can heat up the tank, just as your home-shop compressor heats up.

If you fill one of the fiber-wrap tanks too fast, it can damage the wrapping by overheating. That's obviously not too much of an issue with these little compressors, which fill in hours, not seconds, but the faster ones can still warm the tank appreciably.

For most people, the main issue was you'd fill your tank to 3K psi, and once it cooled down, you'd only have 2,800, or even 2,600, depending on the heat and size.

So the trick- for the paintballers anyway- at least off the field, is to have the tank in water.

I'm told similarly, that one of the tricks to keeping the Yong Heng compressors running, is to keep it cool. Apparently the stock fan is simply not up to the challenge, and so users have worked up fans and cold packs and the like for those, too.

Also, all compressors, like the old car engines used to, need a "break in" oil change. I'm told this is almost crucial for a Yong Heng- run it briefly, change the oil, run it briefly again, change it again. After that, the lifespan is greatly extended. (They also recommend swapping the oil plug with a breather- the compressor doesn't come with a vent for the crankcase.)

Moisture separation is a big one- the drier the intake air, the longer the rings and valves last. That was one of the nice things about the Shoebox- your shop compressor acted as the first stage, and air draw was slow enough that unless you had a really tiny tank, the moisture had a chance to settle out before getting to the Shoebox. (I have mine on a manifolded Rapidair system- there's fifty feet of manifold and two coalescing filters between it and the 60-gallon shop tank. :) )

Personally, no, I don't like having to buy Chinese crap for something like this. I'd rather have bought the American-made unit. But so many people buy on price over and above anything else, there was no way for Kaye to compete, especially at the comparatively low volumes like this.

BUT... at the same time I'm glad such things are available. I spent a good portion of my paintball career having to buy expensive tanks of nitrogen, drive fifty miles to get a SCUBA tank filled, to play an entire day on just 2K psi of air, and so on. OR buy a $6500 compressor.

Doc.

Back