What's new
What's new

Anyone had any luck making their own rifling broaches?

AAA

Aluminum
Anyone out there made their own rifling broaches, specifically the gang broach type or button type if anyone's had any luck with that.

Any commercialy avalible sources?

Yeah, I saw the message, down the board, you guys might find this link interesting:

http://www.firearmsid.com/A_bulletIDrifling.htm

Will not have access to email for the next week, so might take some time to get back to you if you email me.

Mike

[This message has been edited by AAA (edited 12-02-2002).]

i haven't tried but did look at the web site you supplied. to make a broach would be an interesting project. there are a lot of dimensions that would have to be considered in the making of one. each broach would have to be made for a specific caliber and twist. not to mention the difference between right and left hand twist. lots of different angles and relief factors involved.

I would think that cut should be the easy way to go, baring the deep hole drilling, and gearing for the twist rate. I will just buy my barrels, and save the $ of the tooling, materal, and stress of making a dozen scrap barrels to get one good one.

Actually deep hole drilling is the easy part
wink.gif

There is no button broaching, a button is not a broach. Ernie Stallman from Badger Barrels broach cuts his barrels, do a quick google search and take a look at his website.

In reply to the question about rifeling buttons. There are comercially available buttons from the Danjon corporation they have a web site. Also if you are interested in barrel making i sugest you buy the book Barrels And Actions By, Harrold Hoffman at action books they too have a website. The book will be on a disk that you put in your computer. In his book Hoffman gives instructions on making deep hole drills, rifeling buttons, reamers, a rifeling machine,and many other tools used in gun smithing. He even tells you how to set your lathe for deep hole drilling.

Back