What's new
What's new

Anyone here done a 6.5 Creed on a Mauser?

spooky

Aluminum
Hey All,

I built a 30-06 rifle on Brno Mauser action several decades ago. I've never been quite happy with it. Recently I've been thinking about re-barreling in 6.5 Creedmoore, restocking and giving the old girl a modern spin.

Has anyone here done a 6.5 CM on a Mauser action? If so, please tell me about it. Whose barrel, and the rest of the particulars. Pics too if you got 'em. I am doubting many bbl makers are pre-threading for Mauser anymore? My 06 bbl was, so I've never had to cut Mauser threads before. That would be interesting in itself!

Anyhow, thanks for any thoughts and your experiences.

Best,

Chris E.

Hey All,

I built a 30-06 rifle on Brno Mauser action several decades ago. I've never been quite happy with it. Recently I've been thinking about re-barreling in 6.5 Creedmoore, restocking and giving the old girl a modern spin.

Has anyone here done a 6.5 CM on a Mauser action? If so, please tell me about it. Whose barrel, and the rest of the particulars. Pics too if you got 'em. I am doubting many bbl makers are pre-threading for Mauser anymore? My 06 bbl was, so I've never had to cut Mauser threads before. That would be interesting in itself!

Anyhow, thanks for any thoughts and your experiences.

Best,

Chris E.

Action and magazine is already .30-06? Why not a .270 Win?

Mauser action was still being made, last time I looked. Why would there be any shortage of barrels?

Annnnnd ..... there isn't REALLY enuf difference between .270 and 6.5 Creedmoor to make much of a damn.

Classic 270 Winchester Still Deadly — Ron Spomer Outdoors

Stone age didn't end because we ran out of stone. Bronze age didn't end because we ran out of Bronze. .270 won't end just because some OTHER buncha-rounds have come along, either. Not many rounds EVER as have collected so many choices of loadings in approaching a hundred years of widely-proven effectiveness, already.

6.5 Creed simply fits the M1A1 and other shorter .308 actions.

For that matter, there was a .300 Savage-era shortcase that is ALSO awfully close to the 6.5 Creed performance.

More than one, actually. Still around. Still effective. So is my 99DL IN .300 Savage.

And more than one Mauser-born from olden days, too. They still hit as well.

KISS method?

"Keep It Simple, Stupid"

6.5 Creedmoor is not HORRIBLY expensive already on a brand-new finished M1A1.
Salivated over exactly that for a spell, meself.

Must be a used one around SOMEWHERE? Must be SOMEONE would like a ready-to-shoot .30-06?

And then you'd have a NEW goody!

And even spare-time to actually fire it?

:D

Action and magazine is already .30-06? Why not a .270 Win?

Mauser action was still being made, last time I looked. Why would there be any shortage of barrels?

Annnnnd ..... there isn't REALLY enuf difference between .270 and 6.5 Creedmoor to make much of a damn.

Classic 270 Winchester Still Deadly — Ron Spomer Outdoors

Stone age didn't end because we ran out of stone. Bronze age didn't end because we ran out of Bronze. .270 won't end just because some OTHER buncha-rounds have come along, either. Not many rounds EVER as have collected so many choices of loadings in approaching a hundred years of widely-proven effectiveness, already.

6.5 Creed simply fits the M1A1 and other shorter .308 actions.

For that matter, there was a .300 Savage-era shortcase that is ALSO awfully close to the 6.5 Creed performance.

More than one, actually. Still around. Still effective. So is my 99DL IN .300 Savage.

And more than one Mauser-born from olden days, too. They still hit as well.

KISS method?

"Keep It Simple, Stupid"

6.5 Creedmoor is not HORRIBLY expensive already on a brand-new finished M1A1.
Salivated over exactly that for a spell, meself.

Must be a used one around SOMEWHERE? Must be SOMEONE would like a ready-to-shoot .30-06?

And then you'd have a NEW goody!

And even spare-time to actually fire it?

Not looking to debate the merits, just talk with anyone who has done it.

Thanks,

CE

Brownells and Midway both sell pre threaded, short chambered barrels in .260 Rem, 6.5x55 and 6.5x47. Possibly able to rechamber one of those for 6.5 Creedmoor. Or contact Shilen, who makes them and see what they can do for you, maybe threaded, contoured and unchambered. This way you can get the twist you want also. The 6.5 Creedmoor uses a standard .473" bolt face, so there should be no problems in a Mauser action.

put a 6.5 creed e.r. Shaw barrel in a vz 24 98 for a guy at the range he ordered one of there heavy target threaded and deep chambered so all that need be done is set the shoulder and face back to set head space [so no clambering reamer needed ] . cool thing was it was right on did not have to set it back at all . just cut a recess target crown . and the best thing is he is happy with it.

Nothing hard about threading a barrel for a mouser.
It’s neither a weird pos action or hard to rebarrel.
Shouldn’t be a problem to find one in normal times.

Average "mouser" tends to bite and scratch over that sort of operation.

Peter-Paul MAUSER products and their derivatives are more cooperative and less likely to s**t in the flowerbeds?

Paul Mauser - Wikipedia

After all these years, it is still HARD.. really HARD to name a turnbolt action that is any slicker at JFDI, and the Czech's know THEIR part about as well as it can BE known, too. Bright lad, Paul was. Serious craftsmen, the Czechs.

The problem with changing the chambering on a Mauser action isn't the barrel, it's the feeding. Sometimes just a barrel swap works, and the action feeds smooth as glass. Other times switching to a different caliber means that the feed rails don't guide the new cartridge into the breech properly. This usually occurs when modifying a Mauser to fire shorter than x57 cartridges that are wider at the shoulder. I built two '98's in 308 Win back in 2019. One fed perfect, the other needed some work on the forward portion of the feed rails. Just a heads-up; Sometimes you can just swap the barrel and it's good to go. Other times it's not that simple.

Back