What's new
What's new

AR 458 Socom Chamber Liver Center

silver star

Aluminum
Need to turn a 16" AR barrel and want to center up on bore.
458 Socom
Need a live center that will fit in the chamber or at the chamber, pass the bolt lugs.
ID of bolt lugs is .571
ID of chamber is .530
Wanted to know if someone here has been there and knows if one of the multi point live center kits out there has what I need or will I have to make something?
Dang it, I don't have the distance from chamber contact out past the lugs.
Thanks for you time,
Michael

Need to turn a 16" AR barrel and want to center up on bore.
458 Socom
Need a live center that will fit in the chamber or at the chamber, pass the bolt lugs.
ID of bolt lugs is .571
ID of chamber is .530
Wanted to know if someone here has been there and knows if one of the multi point live center kits out there has what I need or will I have to make something?
Dang it, I don't have the distance from chamber contact out past the lugs.
Thanks for you time,
Michael
You could get a cnc type live center with an extended point. My guess is that would be cost prohibitive. You could make a cap to fit over the barrel extension center drill it and do what you gotta do. If you go this way it will get the id and od close but no way to say how close it will be. You could remove the extension,put your center in the end of the chamber and make your cuts. This will put your od as close to concentric with the id as the chamber is. Just a couple random ideas

If you really want concentricity then turn it between centers. Turn a center from any bar stock to fit in the chamber at the spindle end. Make a brass or aluminum plug with a center hole to fit snug at the muzzle.

I replied to your other thread, but it seems like there's a couple ways to do this that don't involve putting a center in your chamber.

I like the idea of a brass (or aluminum) plug to fit the bore and apply your center to that. You could also use soft jaws cut to grip the barrel extension.

If you really want concentricity then turn it between centers. Turn a center from any bar stock to fit in the chamber at the spindle end. Make a brass or aluminum plug with a center hole to fit snug at the muzzle.

I did exactly that to recontour a barrel that had a fairly large extractor cut. Made the plug from brass, a light press fit. No way it would run true on a center otherwise.

Needed to be on centers as I was tapering with the tailstock offset.

Back