Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had this also posted in General (Temp). I am looking for information on the old Army Ordnance Water Bullet Traps. These were usally used in the Arsenals for testing weapons up to .50cal. Weapons were fired from a fixed mount into a jet stream of water, the bullet was destabilzed and fell in to a catch basket.
    I need info on the care, maintenance, and repair of them as I have three at work that need repairs. Any info on the internals, jets, etc. would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

www.snailtraps.com

This is the only thing out there today, they work great! They cost alot! It's mostly a MFG. item. Try the old 55 gal drum with sand. It's cheap.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it was Mil related, it will have a data plate , an official name (possibly model number) A contract number, Responsible service (Most likly U S Army Ordnance Corp) and most likely a Stock number. The Responsible agency (Ordnance) will have information. The Library of Congress should have everything.
    You have to provide a least some of this info to get an answer. Kind of like saying you found a rifle in the dirt, what model is it.........Shape , length, caliber, ?????????

Retired ARMY, Ordnance and Quartermaster Corps.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I work at the arsenal and there are no data plates on them. We have three water traps and each has slight variations from the other. We have one set of blueprints that dosen't match any of them. That is why I am asking for help from someone who might have worked with a similar type trap in the past.

Retired US Army Ordnance Shop Chief
    Current US ARMY ARDEC R&D Gunsmith

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Blue Prints will have a Contract/Project number, A drawing number. Maybe FSN? Even if not entirely a match to units you have, a least a start........Pics would be nice, might be a lot of 50's/60's vintage, off the shelf parts. An Army LIN number would be nice but doubtfull on older equipment..... I wish I still had Direct Access to FEDLOG a search for Bullet/Projectile/Water Trap in The LIN section might dredge up something. As you know there are tons of Ordnance specific low production items out there. Like 20mm Linked Belt tension stretch fixtures.. You are not that far from Aberdeen....
    Depot built in house equipment also possible....
    Good Luck [img]smile.gif[/img]