auction site recommendations?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default auction site recommendations?

Mr. Gaskill suggested I ask here. I have a gun I would like to sell, my Dad gave it to me, it's a minor collectable. I am not really much of a shooter, so I don't know anyone 'round heah to ask, and 'round heah is a relatively small town.
    I have a good idea of what it's worth from watching sales on the various auction sites, I feel I'd probably get screwed by a local dealer. I am not a member of NRA, I see they have an auction site.

Do the auction sites work like ebay, i.e., I don't ship till I have money in hand? Are there any issues with me shipping inside or outside state lines? How does one ship a gun?

Sorry for all the questions, my soon to be ex wife has prompted all of them, so let's blame her. Lawyers are expensive.

thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Rudd

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gunbroker ,Auction Arms and Gun America are all good sites to use. Most peaple only ship gun with funds in hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, you should hold the gun until you have money in hand.

Shipping to a buyer In-State depends on Georgia law. In North Carolina I can box up and mail a rifle or shotgun directly to an adult. For Pistols I need to see Pistol Permit issued by their Sheriff. Personally, if I sell one of my guns to someone I don't know, it's going through an FFL.

Shipping to a buyer Out-of-State REQUIRES the use of a FFL holder.

Steve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default clarification

Yes, it's a pistol. thanks for the heads up, would I approach a FFL holder and let them ship it, presumably for a fee?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You don't need an FFL to ship it, just a copy of the FFL who's receiving it. This way, only the buyer has to pay a fee.
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default in-state firearm shipping

if it is within
    georgia here is the ATF's answer
    (B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?
    A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

Also to be very safe require a copy of Driver' license.
    Out of state is hanled by thier local ffl to which you can ship.(you need to include copy of a photo I.D of yourself) Some ffl holder may require that it comes from an ffl. but you can require they buyer to pay extra to cover the cost of you having to pay an ffl.