What's new
What's new

Barrel Bushing for Remington 700

deltaenterprizes

Stainless
I had a screw up while threading a $300 Krieger barrel for a trued Remington 700 action that has a 1.635”thread
The major diameter is 1.625 + .010 and the minor diameter .9980 .
I would like to make a bushing so I can wipe out the bad threads rethread the he barrel to accept a bushing to increase the barrel threads to 1.635-16.
What common fine thread should I make the barrel and inside thread of the bushing?

I had a screw up while threading a $300 Krieger barrel for a trued Remington 700 action that has a 1.635”thread
The major diameter is 1.625 + .010 and the minor diameter .9980 .
I would like to make a bushing so I can wipe out the bad threads rethread the he barrel to accept a bushing to increase the barrel threads to 1.635-16.
What common fine thread should I make the barrel and inside thread of the bushing?

I think your numbers are wrong. a major of 1.625 with a minor of .998?????????? doesnt sound correct not even close.

The dia of the action is 1.350, the normal threads in the remington action are 1.062x16 with a 1.022 pd

I got the .9880 from a google search .
What would the minor diameter be for 1.6350 which is 1-1/16+.010”?

I increased the bore +.010 so it would be 1.340.

No offense dude, but either put the Crack pipe down go to bed and rethink everything tomorrow. Like maybe finding someone to do the work for you, or even better yet taking a beginner class in basic math, and basic machining.
and dont believe everything you read on the internet as far as numbers.

I have taken a basic machine class and I was the substitute teacher!
It has been 20years since I took the class and 15 years since I worked in a shop so things are a little bit foggy !
I am 65 years old and have several severe illnesses in the last 15 years that has caused me to forget many things.
I can still make parts I am asking for help to figure out the dimensions that I need!
It is a common practice to oversize the threads in the receiver by .010” to true them.

You might recheck your figures.
Most barrel blanks are 1.200 - 1.250 o.d. Or 1 1/4".
You say your thread is 1.635 or over 1 1/2".

Take a break and recheck in the morning.

Hal

He's just missing a zero in there. Common typo, or typing it like he's thinking it ... 1 and 63-1/2...

As for the barrel, you can probably run it as is. Ten clearance would be pretty sloppy, but strength-wise I think it would be fine.

What contour? Caliber? Enough meat to cut it off and start over? A Palma ... NFW ... Or it's not yours?

Worst case, save it for a M-70.

I sleeved a couple barrels for a Sauer. Bored out the original breech end and threaded it 27/32-20. Yes, I made a gauge... OD is 27mm, almost exactly 1-1/16". So I split the difference between the 1" OD and 13/16-16 on an AR.

Torquing them up, you can measurably expand the OD of the sleeve, and shrink the ID of the chamber without much effort. But several thousands of rds went thru them without any problems. Not that I recommend it ...

Do you mean that the thread is 1.0625"? That would be a standard Remington thread and a .010" oversize would be your 1.0635". You said 1.625"...thats larger than the OD of you entire receiver...so not possible.

If you have enough barrel, cut off the bad threads and re do it...pay attention this time. Making a bushing is ok, but you should make some really nice tight threads and use a good retaining compound on the bushing so it does not slip on you and possibly gall the receiver when you go to assemble it.

You will be fine using your barrel as is. I removed this catastrophe from a PRS rifle a competitor had shot a couple of thousand of rounds through. I had witnessed this rifle in competition and it was very competitive. When I saw this I was astounded, how could this shoot well. The tenon is .034” undersized, the threads are nasty and look to be some kind of buttress thread and very shallow. The recoil lug fit has a strange taper on it and is very sloppy as was the tenon fit. Chamber was .010 too deep was the reason for removal so as to set back.
View attachment 313250

Looks perfect in that microfilm shot. Almost like it was threaded.:willy_nilly:

Back