Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Barrel explosion chance?

Hi, i'd like to make one of those simple 3/4 inch steel pipe slam fire 12 gauge shotguns.
    What are the odds of the barrel exploding? If its made of steel can it explode or will it just warp?
    Thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Three to one

3. Likes Lharmon, bloomautomatic, PegroProX440 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do it! I'm a firm believer in natural selection.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by welderjosh View Post
    Do it! I'm a firm believer in natural selection.
    Is it really that likely?
    here is a video of what im talking about if you are picturing something else YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Standard answer to a question like that used to be "Do you own, or can you borrow, a video camera?"

Usually followed by "Do you have a set of recent pictures that the reconstruction team can use while they rebuild your face?"

7. Likes Newman109, ernieflash liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by judebox11 View Post
    Hi, i'd like to make one of those simple 3/4 inch steel pipe slam fire 12 gauge shotguns.
    What are the odds of the barrel exploding? If its made of steel can it explode or will it just warp?
    Thanks
    "Zip" gun, "Suicide kit", "ticket to the slammer", what's in a name?

Given that even Krupp had a bad-hair day ever now and then?

Transport Of World War I Krupp Cannon Barrel Burst Stock Photo, Picture And Royalty Free Image. Image 52013134.

Shall we guess you already have a prepaid funeral and a Lawster on retainer for yer estate?

Guess you could stiffen it with re-bar JB welded into the bore to resist warp, then.

9. Likes guncrank, alan speyrer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had a friend in high school wanted to make a 'sawed off' with conduit that happened to fit a 20 ga. 40 years ago, I'm just assuming he's still alive ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quality pipe, or some mysterious shit from the home depot shelf?

I'd wager that A106b would be up to the task.

12. Likes judebox11 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

$7 and 4 hours of work so a novelty and for that one could go buy a clunker shotgun that would be more accurate and safe.

That you tube should not be because some dumb kid likely will make one and get in trouble or worse.

I knew a kid who put a cut off shot gun shell in a pipe, put the pipe in the burn barrel, then looked down the pipe when it took so long...and shot his eye out. Then he had a glass eye that he could take out and put back in...

I blew up a barrel once with the hand gun with it having a stuck bullet..
    My dad a gun trader bought two guns that would fire with chambering a bullet, one a pump shotgun and one a lever action. Good to try chanbering two loads with any new/used gun before taking it to the field or range.

Granted only two bad guns in many/many but you never know so good to test. Dad would take any bad gun to Wessel's in Detroit and sell it for wholesale..their smith would fix it or toss it.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JB11......move to the highlands of PNG.......youll be kilt with a water pipe 12ga gun anyday you like......rubber bands for a hammer spring......the technically advanced use a 38 Arisaka with a bit of water pipe screwed in.......same thread as 3/4 BSP virtually..........the "rascals" drink "goom",alcohol with a plastic content from the distillation equiptment,and the plastic 1 gallon jugs its sold in.Makes em kinda dangerous,that and their "bush knife",made from a truck spring......if the gun blows,then its back to bows and arrows.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For just a technical answer, do an internet search on strength of water pipe. You will find that most sizes are rated less than 1000psi and even the strongest don't reach 2000psi. With the shell producing around 8000psi, you don't have a great chance.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My current fishing buddy made pipe bombs when he was about 10-12 years old. His grandfather asked what is Jamie doing with the pipe caps he asks me to drill... kids do some odd things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why are people on a legitimate gunsmithing forum even participating in this folly?

Darwinism works, don't fight it.

18. Likes alan speyrer, Winterfalke, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just some theory stuff. My dad told me there was a Winchester pump action shotgun that had 2 extractors that would hold a shell if the barrel was removed. He said if fired you could catch the shot in a hat because without the barrel the shell would develop no pressure. The pressure from the primmer would just open the end of the paper shell and not be enough to do a thorough ignition of the powder.
    IF that is all true an over bore pipe might not develop much pressure. Enough uncertainty that I would not venture to test the theory. No burning need for that kind of shotgun anyway. Last outing I remember with my 870 and buck shot I killed 5 pigs with 7 shots while holding a spot light. Talk about exciting!

20. Likes alan speyrer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Make sure your life insurance is paid up. Might want to invest in a long term disability policy in case you only get maimed. Watched that you tube vid notice how the hull came out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hold my beer and watch this comes to mind!

Bob
    WB8NQW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    Just some theory stuff. My dad told me there was a Winchester pump action shotgun that had 2 extractors that would hold a shell if the barrel was removed. He said if fired you could catch the shot in a hat because without the barrel the shell would develop no pressure. The pressure from the primmer would just open the end of the paper shell and not be enough to do a thorough ignition of the powder.
    IF that is all true an over bore pipe might not develop much pressure. Enough uncertainty that I would not venture to test the theory. No burning need for that kind of shotgun anyway. Last outing I remember with my 870 and buck shot I killed 5 pigs with 7 shots while holding a spot light. Talk about exciting!
    that seems to be true based on this video : YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was a kid in Chicago, some of the gang members would make their own Zip Guns. They used a block of wood cut for a handle and a short piece of black iron pipe from a hardware store. The pipe was just large enough to hold a .22 L.R. cartridge. The hammer was taken from a Roy Rogers cap gun, Rubber bands provided the spring for the hammer. I never saw one shoot but I presume the accuracy was good enough for a typical Chicago gang fight.

As far as using a piece of pipe for a shotgun barrel, that's just a death wish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What the OP is describing is only useful for killing people at close distance and has no legitimate use in our current state of society.

This is not the zombie apocalypse, a Mad Max movie, or anything of the sort. If cost is an issue there are plenty of cheap single shot shotguns that can be had for very little money.

If on the other hand the OP is a prohibited person either because of youth or past legal problems the last thing any of us need is to contribute to such a project. If you give him technical info and someone gets hurt you are wide open to civil suits.

The main concern should not be if the pipe will burst in your hand but whether or not you'll have a good cellmate if you get caught with an illegally manufactured firearm and it IS 100% illegal because it has no sporting purpose.

26. Likes guncrank, alan speyrer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would any sane person strap a pipe bomb to a 2x6 and hold it inches from their face. IMO that is kinda what this proposal is.