Barrel Fluting - Best Practices? - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
    Parkerized? Is this a factory hammer forged barrel? If so, I'd personally avoid fluting it. The bore would almost certainly move on that.
    Why would I care if the bore "moved"?
    None of them are straight to begin with, and I sight in by pointing the scope at the bullet hole.

It would be nice to be able to clock the barrel with any divergence up and down rather than side to side. It's a barrel with an extension,and I'm sure it's not been evaluated nor clocked from the get-go.

What would really be nice is if the barrel didn't move around shot after shot (thermal stuff) That is the fight that's hard to win.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These "patents" are fraudulent. 8025003B1 covers a specific shape of flute, a dove tail shape or in the bullshitese of the application "hyper undercut". The benefit is less weight. So here we have a patent on the relationship of mass to weight.
    6324780B1 is even worse. It describes a barrel with
    "an open-ended hollow body having a first end, a second end, an inner surface and an outer surface, said inner surface defining a gun barrel bore and a number of internal spiral grooves and said outer surface defining a number of external spiral grooves, wherein the number of said internal spiral grooves equal the number of said external spiral grooves"
    "
    Then it goes on to claim that the number of grooves doesn't matter and should be equally spaced.
    I'm sure a decent patent lawyer could get the second one thrown out easily.
    The patent office is something of a joke. I know a company that has a patent on converting the drive of a crane from Morse chain to Gilmer type belt. They send you a kit of Dodge or Martin (whoever is cheapest that day) pulleys and taper lock bushings and the belt, all off the shelf items any power transmission place likely has in stock or a day away. He makes none of it, alters none of it and merely sells a group of items that other have or had patents on. This scam depends on the fact that it will cost an arm and a leg to overturn such a patent. It would also cost him an arm and leg to enforce it so go ahead and do it. Your liability is only the profit from that job. It's a civil matter, there are no fines or patent police.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    Why would I care if the bore "moved"?
    None of them are straight to begin with, and I sight in by pointing the scope at the bullet hole.

It would be nice to be able to clock the barrel with any divergence up and down rather than side to side. It's a barrel with an extension,and I'm sure it's not been evaluated nor clocked from the get-go.

What would really be nice is if the barrel didn't move around shot after shot (thermal stuff) That is the fight that's hard to win.
    The bore diameter could change, and probably will. Just seeing examples of bores bellmouthing on forged barrels just from turning down and threading muzzles is enough to keep me from fluting one. Maybe it’ll have no noticeable affect. Maybe it will. Is the risk with it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The bore diameter could change, and probably will. Just seeing examples of bores bellmouthing on forged barrels just from turning down and threading muzzles is enough to keep me from fluting one. Maybe it’ll have no noticeable affect. Maybe it will. Is the risk with it?
    Fist off, are you of the opinion that commercial barrels are profiled and configured BEFORE they are rifled? I've never heard of such.

First the blank, then the bore, then the outer "treatment".

From reading your objections to post rifling operations, all barrels would be scrap from the beginning. I would not agree. All barrel makers offer "extra" machining details to existing stock. Luck is a wonderful thing.

It's a $90 barrel, so yes, worth the risk, as the exercise will be enjoyed. I've got the advantage, I don't know how the barrel might shoot as it is! So no comparisons ;-)

An easy barrel to resell also. Kids love "bling". ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fist off, are you of the opinion that commercial barrels are profiled and configured BEFORE they are rifled? I've never heard of such.

First the blank, then the bore, then the outer "treatment".

From reading your objections to post rifling operations, all barrels would be scrap from the beginning. I would not agree. All barrel makers offer "extra" machining details to existing stock. Luck is a wonderful thing.

It's a $90 barrel, so yes, worth the risk, as the exercise will be enjoyed. I've got the advantage, I don't know how the barrel might shoot as it is! So no comparisons ;-)

An easy barrel to resell also. Kids love "bling". ;-)
    “Is this a factory hammer forged barrel? If so,...”

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

“Is this a factory hammer forged barrel? If so,...”
    Why would you think that?

It's an after market barrel of a LR-308

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Why would you think that?

It's an after market barrel of a LR-308
    I did’t think anything. I asked a question. But if I was to think, I’d look at Weatherby’s site to see what they say about the H-Bar, like this: Weatherby | Vanguard Weatherguard H-Bar

It just so happens under the features they state: Cold Hammer Forged Barrel

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I did’t think anything. I asked a question. But if I was to think, I’d look at Weatherby’s site to see what they say about the H-Bar, like this: Weatherby | Vanguard Weatherguard H-Bar

It just so happens under the features they state: Cold Hammer Forged Barrel
    Ooohh

So personal, like talking to a phone messaging machine.

"I am a bull that hits like a ton of bricks, with a bull barrel to prove it. The outside diameter of my threaded 20” #3-contour heavy barrel measures a whopping .740. What that means for you is that I heat up and cool down evenly for more consistent accuracy. I’m tough like a bull too, with a tactical gray Cerakote® finish on my metalwork and a bionic one-piece machined bolt body. When it’s time to let me buck, my two-stage, match-grade trigger gives you the crisp confidence you need to make every shot count."

I'm just not sure how that relates to bluing and it interaction with a parkerized surface.

I guess I'll need to do some testing.

Weatherby sure isn't going to help.

Fluting - Lilja

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ooohh

So personal, like talking to a phone messaging machine.

"I am a bull that hits like a ton of bricks, with a bull barrel to prove it. The outside diameter of my threaded 20” #3-contour heavy barrel measures a whopping .740. What that means for you is that I heat up and cool down evenly for more consistent accuracy. I’m tough like a bull too, with a tactical gray Cerakote® finish on my metalwork and a bionic one-piece machined bolt body. When it’s time to let me buck, my two-stage, match-grade trigger gives you the crisp confidence you need to make every shot count."

I'm just not sure how that relates to bluing and it interaction with a parkerized surface.

I guess I'll need to do some testing.

Weatherby sure isn't going to help.

Fluting - Lilja
    You’ve lost me. If you want to flute a factory CHF barrel, go for it. I wouldn’t do it for myself and I wound decline to take the job for a customer.

Edit: I’m not sure what Lilja has to do with factory CHF barrels.

10. Likes Butch Lambert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read the topic regarding why has been well covered.
    Barrel Fluting

The HOW seems to be less discussed. i.e. to the OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read the topic regarding why has been well covered.
    Barrel Fluting

The HOW seems to be less discussed. i.e. to the OP.
    So yes or no, is fluting a factory cold hammer forged barrel a good idea?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So yes or no, is fluting a factory cold hammer forged barrel a good idea?
    I would say NO to post hammer forged barrel fluting

Forging induces stress, cutting through stress layers invites unknown and often unwanted motion with the stress relief.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would say NO to post hammer forged barrel fluting

Forging induces stress, cutting through stress layers invites unknown and often unwanted motion with the stress relief.
    So the above replies to me asking if this was a factory hammer forged barrel and my opinion that if so, it isn’t a good idea was?

15. Likes Butch Lambert liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So the above replies to me asking if this was a factory hammer forged barrel and my opinion that if so, it isn’t a good idea was?
    Perhaps you should start a thread on the topic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perhaps you should start a thread on the topic.
    I’m really confused. Why would’ve I start a thread on it? I responded to a poster here and you seem to have issues with that response, then you say you agree with my opinion.

19. Likes Butch Lambert liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good tip he's not too far from my shop. The problem I have with anything that modifies the barrel, including rails, and scope mounts, and contacting forearms, and hanging any gizmos from a barrel, is the disturbance of the barrel's natural harmonic frequency. Now you have an unpredictable barrel harmonic and therefore inaccurate. I'll stick with basic straight barrels and eliminate the chances for screwing with the laws of physics.