What's new
What's new

Barrel for Lee Enfield No4 Mk2

Douge

Plastic
Two questions:
1. Is the barrel the same between a Lee Enfield no4, Mk1 and Mk2
2. Anyone know of a source for replacement barrel?

Two questions:

As a gun plumber I suppose I should know this but no one rebarrels Lee Enfields. I have only done a couple in my life. The best person to present that problem to would be Al Kerr at Milarm Co. in Edmonton Alberta. Al is a serious Enfield collector and has every model ever carried into battle in minty new condition. I hate myself for even saying this but if you get the chance to see his collection you can't help but be impressed. I was and I don't impress very easily, especially when its a bunch of WWI, smelly, old military weapons. Milarm is in the book and on the net. Give them a call.

The barrels are the same,the difference is only in various cheapening mods in the mk2.The no4 made by Savage /Stevens and marked US PROPERTY are the best by far.They had a 6 groove barrel. Other variations are 2groove ,3groove and the standard 5groove .Several gun parts suppliers in the US had barrels as cheap a $35 a few years ago.Regards John.

The barrels are the same,the difference is only in various cheapening mods in the mk2.The no4 made by Savage /Stevens and marked US PROPERTY are the best by far.They had a 6 groove barrel. Other variations are 2groove ,3groove and the standard 5groove .Several gun parts suppliers in the US had barrels as cheap a $35 a few years ago.Regards John.

You're just about spot-on, except that in addition to the groove patterns you listed a 4-groove was also utilized. I'm an Enfield collector, and can't really find a rhyme, reason, or definitive collection of when each factory used which barrel grooving pattern. There was a lot of experimentation at all plants, trying to reduce process time and get away with fewer operations. The 2-groove was found to have absolutely negligible impact on accuracy within under 800 yards, and I own several No. 4 Mk1's Mk.1*'s, 2's, and 1/2's that have the different grooves.

If you're looking for a replacement barrel, I'd try Sarco, e-bay, and IMA. Gunbroker might yield something, but I doubt it will be cheap.

The 2groove barrels were favoured for military rifle shooting here ,they were claimed to compensate better at 600 to 900 yard ranges.Those were the days,the army handed out free ammo,which the clubs gave each shooter 30 rounds free,if you wanted more you paid a small amount per box,and everyone got a free steel ammo box for their tools.Regards John.

The gun itself is not significant other than its in good shape except for the barrel. I have checked around and come up empty trying to find a good barrel. I know these guns don't hold much value but this is my hobby so I am not really worried about it. My next consideration would be to buy a barrel blank and just copy the old barrel.

.303 barrels

Two questions:

There is no difference between the .303 No 4 mk1/No 4 mk1* & No4 Mk 2 barrels. the difference between the models has to do with how the trigger group is attached, barrels are all identical for No 4 mk 1/Mk1* & No 4 mk 2.
Try Criterion Barresl Inc., W172N13050 Division Street,Germantown WI 53022
tel 262-628-8749 email: [email protected]
They are making new No 4 barrels using Savage .303 drawings from 1940's British loan lease deal. i bought one two years ago, very little machining to breach up. I have put about 175 rounds through it. Accuracy, when you have the ammnition suited to the barrel, is 5 rds within 2.5" circle at 100yds. Mine likes 189gr Prvi Partisan ammo. Good barrels.

There is no difference between the .303 No 4 mk1/No 4 mk1* & No4 Mk 2 barrels. the difference between the models has to do with how the trigger group is attached, barrels are all identical for No 4 mk 1/Mk1* & No 4 mk 2.
Try Criterion Barresl Inc., W172N13050 Division Street,Germantown WI 53022
tel 262-628-8749 email: [email protected]
They are making new No 4 barrels using Savage .303 drawings from 1940's British loan lease deal. i bought one two years ago, very little machining to breach up. I have put about 175 rounds through it. Accuracy, when you have the ammnition suited to the barrel, is 5 rds within 2.5" circle at 100yds. Mine likes 189gr Prvi Partisan ammo. Good barrels.

Been waiting since 2013 for your input!

Back