What's new
What's new

Looking for anvil/ball mic

indychuck

Aluminum
WTB a well cared for ball venier micrometer, such as this one.

The anvil or ball would need to accept a tube or case opening of .200". In other words, the diameter of the micrometer's ball head would need to have a diameter of less than .200".

You can also put a piece of flat stock in these clamp style and use them like a regular micrometer.

You can take off the clamp part and use just the body like a little height gage.

You can put in the proper size drill bit or gage pin and use it to check edge distance of holes.

I used my Starrett a lot.

Kenton/UncleFrank

The type you refer to would also work very well.

I'd much rather find one here than one on ebay or Amazon. The Ebay/Amazon ones are more likely to have been passed thru multiple hands to finally reach a pawn shop that put it on Ebay.

Getting directly from here has a very high probability that I'm getting one that was properly used and cared for.

Kenton/UncleFrank

The type you refer to would also work very well.

I'd much rather find one here than one on ebay or Amazon. The Ebay/Amazon ones are more likely to have been passed thru multiple hands to finally reach a pawn shop that put it on Ebay.

Getting directly from here has a very high probability that I'm getting one that was properly used and cared for.

They are not too expensive... if you need one I would just buy it from MSC (or your whatever preferred vendor)... https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/06386015
$191 list - 20% (or more) = $153

or

Shars 0-1" Multi Anvil Micrometer .0001" New 303-2304 P: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

For a cheapie that you only need to use a handful of times per year. Even if this came in really low quality, it would (IMO) be an easy fix-er-upper...

Its your call, but you could buy 3 used mics at that price and pick the best and still come out ahead of buying new. The anvil mic I use in my professional life came from ebay and I never had any issues with it.

Micrometers, especially smaller sizes, are pretty durable as long as you don't chuck them when you get mad or use them as C clamps. Additionally the fact it is kind of an odd ball micrometer means the person(s) who owned it before probably was a skilled person who would care for there tools.

But I can see the value of spending the money to get what "should" be a good tool.

Are you trying to measure case necks? If so any of the multi anvil mics will work fine

Yes, I will mostly be using it for case neck thickness. I agree, the multi anvil mic will work great, especially if I can use it to measure length as UncleFrank suggests, but my case lengths exceed the 1" that I believe is the max on the multi anvils I've seen thus far.

Is the multi anvil mic not designed for tube/case thickness?

IMO, you're exchanging accuracy for utility. The uni-mic is a good tool but lacks relief at the measuring end and is susceptible to measuring burrs at the case mouth instead of actual neck thickness. The ball point of the tube mic prevents this.

It's a subtle difference but it's there.

Back