What's new
What's new

Barrel tennon: Convert 1”-16 to 1.062-16???

Mram10

Cast Iron
Fun times....
Cut a 1” shank(not threaded)for a tikka and would like to go back the other way for a Rem 700 build. It’s a carbon fiber barrel and doesn’t have enough room to cut and start over.

Option 1: build up weld and machine down. Not sure how it would affect throat, if at all, since I would chamber after.

Option 2: reduce tennon diameter to allow for a threaded bushing to be placed on top, then thread it for 1.062-16.

Not sure of option 3. Thanks

Plan on a 28 nosler chambering

I don’t think I’d touch that one. Finish the Tika and get a new blank for what you need.

Whithout doing any math, you’d probably need to turn the tenon down further to around 7/8-20 and make an 1 1/16-16 x 7/8-20 adapter.

Don't weld on barrels.

What chambering?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I see people say that, yet I’ve never heard a solid mathematical reason why. Standard flux core wire is rated at 70k psi. What am I missing??
It is a personal build, so liability/suit happy blood suckers are not a factor.

Ive welded on barrels ,old military ,probably 1340 or something like.If yours is 4140,I dont see any problems except heat effects on the wrap.....I would do a machine rotated and fed mig weld .........your preheat and postheat would need to be correct,but theres plenty of info .......

I think the pre-heat and post-heat requirements will put so much heat into the steel that the carbon fiber/epoxy will delaminate and make the blank worthless. I think you need to go to 600°F and that is going to melt the epoxy.

I think the pre-heat and post-heat requirements will put so much heat into the steel that the carbon fiber/epoxy will delaminate and make the blank worthless. I think you need to go to 600°F and that is going to melt the epoxy.

Great points. The carbon fiber is only rated to 250f according to manufacturer. I’m sure it would get above that without an ice bath/dry ice setup. Not worth it.

I don’t think I’d touch that one. Finish the Tika and get a new blank for what you need.

Whithout doing any math, you’d probably need to turn the tenon down further to around 7/8-20 and make an 1 1/16-16 x 7/8-20 adapter.

Im not sure where I’d find the math for an adapter ?????

Im not sure where I’d find the math for an adapter ?????

Open your Machinery’s Handbook to the thread spec section. Find the largest thread you can that you feel would have enough meat between the receiver minor diameter and adapter major diameter. Hopefully the thread you pick for the barrel is as large or larger than other commercial barrels so you can feel warm and fuzzy that it won’t explode.

I wouldn’t even think about welding sulfurized 416 on anything critical.

Got bored today and finished it as a 28 nosler on the tikka t3 action. As for the conversation, it pointed out another good reason to buy a machinists handbook. Thanks guys

Back