What's new
What's new

Barrel Tenon Size

Severance

Plastic
I have several chambered, threaded blanks that i need help identifying. Shank is 1.00 diameter with 16 TPI and a length of 1.00.

Any idea what action thiese are designed to fit?

Tikka, maybe??? Can’t remember the length, but threads and diameter make sense

Perhaps early Sako L-61 which used 1x 16tpi. They also list AV1 and AV4 in the notes I have. I am not certain about the shank length however.

Last edited:
What chamber? As noted, lots of actions use 1"-16 TPI. If you can determine the cartridge, check the chamber depth with a GO gauge. Could be a "deep chambered" pre-fit designed to adjust head space by machining tenon and torque shoulder to fit receiver/bolt combination.

Tikka T3 is 1”-16
ETA: beat to it a few times over. I save all of the t3 barrels I pull, they are fantastic barrels that I end up repurposing quite a bit.

Just measured a couple culprits. Model 70 and Tikka T3 threads are both 1-16 TPI, however tennon length on the model 70 barrels I could find averaged around 0.700", while the 5 T3 barrels were all dead nuts at 0.9855".
That's one thing I love about the T3 compared to some of the trash coming out of some of our factories now (looking at you Remington), the machining is fantastic, and you go to blueprint one and realize the it's already really, really good. I had to take almost 0.100" off a new factory 700 receiver to get it square, and the threads were way crooked, kind of like Freedom Group's upper management.

OP, if you didn't use a depth mic, or were rounding up, I'd say you may have a Tikka barrel. Up until about ten years ago, they were unmarked.

I’m shocked the Rem required that much! I’ve trued up a bunch of newer ones and haven’t needed more than a couple thousandths to square the receiver face

I’m shocked the Rem required that much! I’ve trued up a bunch of newer ones and haven’t needed more than a couple thousandths to square the receiver face

It’s certainly extreme, and it’s a little unfair that I didn’t mention that I’ve done over 1k 700’s and that was the worst one. Some of them from the 1970’s have been fantastic.

That said, if Remington’s standard is still the same as right after they were acquired by Cerberus, they can hydraulically press a barrel up to 0.02” to meet headspace!!! For a guy with a gunshot wound in one arm and missing fingers on the other, it can make it hard to remove factory barrels without parting them by the recoil lug.

Just measured a couple culprits. Model 70 and Tikka T3 threads are both 1-16 TPI, however tennon length on the model 70 barrels I could find averaged around 0.700", while the 5 T3 barrels were all dead nuts at 0.9855".
That's one thing I love about the T3 compared to some of the trash coming out of some of our factories now (looking at you Remington), the machining is fantastic, and you go to blueprint one and realize the it's already really, really good. I had to take almost 0.100" off a new factory 700 receiver to get it square, and the threads were way crooked, kind of like Freedom Group's upper management.

OP, if you didn't use a depth mic, or were rounding up, I'd say you may have a Tikka barrel. Up until about ten years ago, they were unmarked.

Are you sure you didn't misplace a decimal? .010 sounds more reasonable. There is no way a receiver would be out .100. Is that measured on the face?

I too have an unknown barrel tenon I'm trying to identify 1"-16 1.100 length, flat breech.

If it was that bad, why didn't you send it back?

I've gone down that road with remington, not something I'll do again. I just trued it up best I could, and built a .300 blk subsonic only build and used another action, not far off on S/N: that was less than 0.002" off, with good threads, for the build that action was planned for.
As I said, that's the worst I've seen from them, and second worst was not near as bad, and that is out of a lot of actions over the years. But, when I have the choice, I'll use aftermarket actions, other brands, or for myself, build my own (and usually never finish them.)

Back