What's new
What's new

Barrel Vise

ih784

Plastic
Can anyone recommend a decent “universal” barrel vise? I’ve looked at a viper. Wheeler. Also brownells. Or if anyone has any drawings or plans/ideas they’re much appreciated.

Can anyone recommend a decent “universal” barrel vise? I’ve looked at a viper. Wheeler. Also brownells. Or if anyone has any drawings or plans/ideas they’re much appreciated.

I drew my own plans. Mine is similar to the Brownells.I make my own inserts and action tool. Most of the commercial ones do not have enough poop to do the job. When you build your vise be sure and put a couple press springs between the two parts of the vise.

Thank you Mr. Butch. I certainly will. I guess the vise itself has a nice straight hole and your bushings are aluminum with whatever taper your barrel is?

Thank you Mr. Butch. I certainly will. I guess the vise itself has a nice straight hole and your bushings are aluminum with whatever taper your barrel is?

Yes sir. On my bushings I turn the OD with a shoulder and I bed the ID with JB weld to the taper barrel I'm fooling with..

Usually I bore 2 diameters. One the size just behind the tenon and the barrel diameter at the end of my bushing. I then put a little JB between. If you have a tight fit from bushing to barrel, you will have no problem.
Was in the Elk Mountain area 2-3 years ago in a little got lost excursion driving to Morgantown to watch my Grandson play football at WVU. It is beautiful country, but every thing every thing and all was always up hill.

Back