What's new
What's new

bedding jack

speerchucker30x3

Titanium
This is a neat little project for the wannabes. It’s a bedding jack that is used to pull the barreled actions out of the stock after bedding. It eliminates the need for freezing, rubber hammers and cursing. I have been using these for about 8 years and I wouldn’t glass bed without one now. I am quite sure that you could even pull an action if you forgot to put the release agent on it. But there wouldn’t be much left of the stock. The pictures should be self explanatory. If they are not, you probably shouldn’t be building or using it.

Attachments

• glass bedding jack rem.jpg
    glass bedding jack rem.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 699
  • glass bedding jack win.jpg
    glass bedding jack win.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 427
  • mandrels.jpg
    mandrels.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 487
  • glass bedding jack end.jpg
    glass bedding jack end.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,008
Well of course you never have them stick Jim! Pros like us do not suffer from such worries. I of course have a few different bedding jacks to pull the barreled actions straight out of the fresh bedding and you of course have .............. your system. But I have seen people rapping on barrels with plastic or rubber hammers. Rocking the barrel and action back and forth in the bedding. Running wedges between the barrel and stock. Freezing guns in deep freezes or with dry ice. Leaving the gun on the dash of their cars so the sun will soften the bedding. But of course I just pull out the jack and slowly tighten the bolts until the barreled action is pulled straight out of the bedding. No muss, no fuss and no sweat.
⎝ᄽ⏝ᄿ⎠

I like it.

I've not had one stick to the point of feezing or using a hammer but I've had to rock a couple slightly to get them out. Pulling dead straight with the jack would be a lot less likely to damage the bedding.

Chad Dixon made something similar - his was really fancy but I think your design is totally practical and dirt simple to make. I like the use of the side plate shim to fit smaller actions like the CZ527 - simple, work real fine, last long time. What's to not like?

Fitch

Well of course you never have them stick Jim! Pros like us do not suffer from such worries. I of course have a few different bedding jacks to pull the barreled actions straight out of the fresh bedding and you of course have .............. your system. But I have seen people rapping on barrels with plastic or rubber hammers. Rocking the barrel and action back and forth in the bedding. Running wedges between the barrel and stock. Freezing guns in deep freezes or with dry ice. Leaving the gun on the dash of their cars so the sun will soften the bedding. But of course I just pull out the jack and slowly tighten the bolts until the barreled action is pulled straight out of the bedding. No muss, no fuss and no sweat.
⎝ᄽ⏝ᄿ⎠

I made something similar along time ago.No rocking,rubber hammers,wedges necessary,barrelled actions are pulled staright up.

Yeah, I have made a couple of go faster models as well but I always end up selling them to needy friends and having to start over. I have always found though, that glue, intense pressure and complicated fixtures never seam to play well together. This unit is simple, idiot proof, relatively easy to make and after the bedding compound and mold release builds up to thick on it, you can just toss it back in the sandblast cabinet and its brand new. I always thought about building them and selling them but you would have to charge about $100 to $150 if you built them on single stage machines as the entire north American market would probably only be 500 units and it would take 10 years to sell them all. On top of that you wouldn't make $5000 on the whole venture and the first time some dough head forced you to get a lawyer because he forgot to put the release agent on the action and he ripped his stock apart you would wish you had never been hatched. But they are a must have if you do any amount of bedding and for the wannabe that has a small lathe and drill press and likes to putz in his basement and bed his own actions its a wonderful weekend project and it will only cost you about $50 for materials. I'm not above sharing.

Back