What's new
What's new

Beretta 85F Trigger Spring Assembly

wepllc

Aluminum
Does anyone know how to reassemble a trigger spring for a Beretta 84F/85F Cheetah? I’ve searched the Web and could not find any specific instruction on how to do so. The closest I found was a very basic blown-out schematic of the gun. The trigger spring is item #14 on the schematic (see attachment). However, it doesn’t show any dotted lines to where is would be attached. In addition, this schematic doesn’t show and sequence of assembly or special tools that may be required to reassemble the trigger spring. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

85F.jpg
85F.jpg85F.jpg

Yes, as a matter of fact I can help you. I was a Beretta gunsmith for 6 yrs. Send me pictures of what you need done. This will require a "slave pin" and small crochet hook. It's really easy once you are walked through it.

Yes, as a matter of fact I can help you. I was a Beretta gunsmith for 6 yrs. Send me pictures of what you need done. This will require a "slave pin" and small crochet hook. It's really easy once you are walked through it.

SMiles…I welcome the help. You mentioned a slave pin and a small crocheting needle are used. Can you provide me a little more specifics on them? For example, what does the slave pin look like? What’s its diameter and length? Similar info for the crocheting needle as well.

I will be having limited access to my computer over this holiday week. If you can at least give me a heads start on how to assembly the spring I will take pictures.

My first question would be is where does the spring attach to? Does it attach to the trigger and held in place by #15, or does it attach through the trigger and held in by #18? I figure part of #14 is captured by #13 (see schematic from original post).

Thanks

After playing around for a while, I believe I figured it out. The spring goes on the pivoting point of the trigger. It took a while to assemble and appears to function well. My main concern is why did it break in the first place and will it happen again. Time will tell.

Hi,
Don't know much about Berettas but a bit about springs and surface treatment.
These springs are often surface treated by carbonizing , nitrating and or tempering and mechanical processes like rolling, tools like collets are often ground afterwards. After the treatment, the surface is extremely hard and resistive against aging. What often happens is that the treated/hardened layer at the surface is too thick as the process has ended. This "tough" layer, because it's brittle(having hardness and rigidity but little tensile strength), doesn't want to bend accordingly with the underlaying material, so it cracks/breaks. These cracks are very small and hardly vissible BUT they have an AWFUL effect of carving and wedging appart the steel underneath, this gets worse with every bending and eventually the crack will have travelled quit a bit through the material which causes the spring to break under load...
Regards,
Max

This spring broke twice. The first time it was under warranty. The second time the authorized Beretta dealer that I sent it to was not on the official Beretta repair list. I called a different one and they told me it wasn’t under warranty, so I decided to do it myself.

I would of tried to make the spring myself, but it is a complex piece and would require more time to make the tooling than to just buy it. I have made simple springs before, but not this tiny or complexity. I do have the ability to heat treat, but I never done that with springs. I usually just mechanically formed them using stock spring steel coils. If you have any reference on heat treating springs I be interested in knowing how.

Thanks

My apologies - serious computer issues. Not usually - most of the problems I saw were frm customers "cleaning" them vigourously. I did find my copies of the Cheetah and the notes for repair. I may try to scan and post these for future assistance.

Contact Berettas customer service. They can usually send these out with out having to use a "Beretta" dealer. Also, you can call the Beretta factory and ask to speak to a gunsmith. They will usually walk you through the procedure...unknown benefit of customer service.

Hey man. I really need helo putting in the 84 trugger spring and bar. Can u please walk me through it?? Thanks

May i ask, as I have the 81bb, I think the spring in question is similar if not the same, and I have no idea how to put it back after taking the firearm apart to clean it for the first time.

Back