What's new
What's new

Beretta Storm

Don Gitzel

Aluminum
I received a notification from the RCMP (Canada) to turn in my cx4 storm beretta. Could I possibly order a new barrel to make it non restricted??

Is this a length issue? I don't know about Canada but in the US short barrels can be "lengthened" by welding, etc on an extension.

I received a notification from the RCMP (Canada) to turn in my cx4 storm beretta. Could I possibly order a new barrel to make it non restricted??

Wiki is a POOR "authority", but if they are correct NO!

Extract:

===
in 2011, Beretta introduced a non-restricted (19" barrel) variant of the Cx4, making it more accessible.[6] On May 1, 2020, the Canadian government reclassified the CX4 Storm (in all its variants) to be prohibited firearms.

===

If nine years after the longer barrel was introduced and they are NOW serious about that "all.. variants"? As it seems they are?

Then even a 30" barrel would be banned.

Xin Loy!

The situation sounds grim, but there is a bright spot. Apparently no one who bought one of the prohibited arms prior to the act (May 1, 2020) can be prosecuted for two years until April 30, 2022.

I got this information from the National Firearms Association (NFA) web site.

National Firearms Association

There are apparently legal challenges to the act, so it may be amended to allow financial compensation or grandfathering. Under the "What should I do with my now prohibited firearm or AR upper receiver?" section they advise only three courses of action.

A. Sell the item (export it) outside of Canada.

B. Surrender it for destruction.

C. Keep it until legislation is enacted allowing compensation or grandfathering.

If you choose option A it might require the services of a company that can do this and likely the net amount will be disappointing.

If you choose option B (at this time) it will likely only whet their appetite for even more prohibitions. A lot can change in 2 years and if gun owners are slow to comply they may have to modify the legislation to save face.

If you choose option C (which I recommend) and enough owners do likewise it may force them to ease the restrictions somewhat. Massive noncompliance has a lot more power than most people think.

If you do decide to keep it for a while make sure it is stored properly. They can't prosecute you for possession yet but if they find you in violation of storage rules .....................

IMO changing to a different barrel length is not an option, at least at this time.

Patience, rather than panic, is the secret to dealing with this kind of abuse of power, as USA gun owners have long known. It is also vital to support pro-gun organizations as they are more likely to make headway against oppressive laws. A lone individual has ZERO power against government overreach.

If you go with option A: now is the time. Prices are ridiculous.

I heard from someone glock parts are in high demand and has a huge shortage. I was going to look into making some, and figured I should find an old beater glock from a shop to pattern and test off of. Nothing. Not in three states. Anything out there has the same price tag as buying new.

Back