What's new
What's new

Best 80& receiver

Of the ones I have seen there seems to be little difference in brands since there are only a handful of actual makers and the market is highly competitive. The main difference I have seen is whether or not there is an integral trigger guard. Some sellers seem to think that feature is worth more money. I don't.

RWO

I just completed five 80% lowers that I purchased from Tactical Machining. I think I purchased them in 2009. Excellent quality. Also, I purchased and completed a 80% AR9 (9mm) lower from AAO manufacturing. I found it to be of excellent quality as well.

I’ve had good results with AR15 lowers from Anderson Manufacturing. I bought the lowers already hard anodized. They’re 7075 aluminum, and the rear takedown pocket is already machined. I use the tooling as just a holding and locating fixture for the fire control pocket, and made my own shop drawings from the publicly available AR-15 prints. These locate all the features from the front takedown pin, and give more accurate results than the guides that come with the tooling. If you have a mill(I have a series one Bridgeport) you don’t need them anyway. I rough out the pocket first with a 5/8” endmill, and then finish machine with a 7/16” carbide end-mill. I tried two flute endmills for aluminum but found that they flex too much and I got visible lines in the pocket. For the hammer, trigger, and safety holes, it is important to drill the holes undersized and then ream to size. I have built a number of them(for my own use, of course) and a couple of AR-10 receivers as well, all successfully. If you get interested in making an AR10, there are fewer sources for them, but there are good ones out there.

I wouldn’t wait too long to buy them. Congress has introduced a bill to outlaw the sale of 80% receivers (it’s tacked onto a bill about 3D printed receivers). It may not go anywhere, but in today’s environment, you never know.

Back