What's new
What's new

ABS stock repairs

Peter Colman

Stainless
I have a Steyr grey ABS rifle stock that has broken between the bolt recess and the trigger slot. This is on one side only so I plan to cut a slot in the plastic and let in a stainless steel strip with holes in it and glue the strip into position and run the glue into the crack.
My first question is what glue to use..
My second,problem is how to remove scratches and shiny areas to improve the cosmetic appearance of he stock.
Thanks

In my limited experience with ABS, you can repair cracks with a solvent like MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone.) Put a wet Q-tip dipped in MEK against the crack and surface tension will draw the MEK into the crack. The MEK dissolves the material on both sides which merges and forms a new connection once the MEK evaporates. MEK is very volatile and should be used in a well ventilated place, although more will evaporate from the can than is needed to make the joint.

If a void needs to be filled, you will need to find some additional material. And the type of ABS in the stock may not co-operate with this technique.

Is this a clean break or just a chip knocked out? Either way your on the right track with the epoxy and stainless. If it’s a full break, I’d look at doing a mechanical lock too like through drilling the wrist area and a bolt and nut or at least a wood screw. Use a quality epoxy for ABS ( you’ll have to find that advice elsewhere) but treat it more of a body filler as opposed to the repair
As fAr as the finish, I have bead blasted abs stocks before then wiped with acetone and hurry up and pAinted then with ceracoat cured in a hot car in the summer for a day
ThAts about the beSt you’ll get

Back