Best Gunsmithing Lathes.... - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Of the newer style machines, the Cadillac 14" has the shortest headstock with the type A spindle nose, the D type nose is around 2" longer. The Cadillac machines are far better then the green junk from china.
    I like to fiddle around with bolt action rifles, but not dedicated enough to buy a machine specifically for it, so I try to make what is available work. The other option is one of 3 gear head machines with 2" spindle holes but with headstocks as long as 4ft. The only way I can see on machines like that to stabilize and center a barrel within the headstock is make a bushing that fits closely at the short machined area at the rear of the spindle, and with a sliding rod with a pin on the end to fit in the barrels bore. I looked at doing that, then decided to use the monarch ee in a similar manner with the much easier to make sliding plug with a pin on the end to locate the barrel by its bore within the headstock.

An interesting aspect of all this is, barrels bore is not as true as one would think, I dont know just how important it is to get both ends of the bore running .0001"..
    From a machining view, it is best to not let a tube flop or bend inside a spindle as the bending will move through the jaws to the area being machined.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use an action truing fixture for barrels that are too short to fit the spindle

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My eisen was on sale for $3800 and has built plenty of accurate long range rifles. I don’t know of any for under $3k though. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A South Bend Heavy 10 would be your best bet for that price range.