What's new
What's new

A bIG thanks to Pacific Tool and Gauge

LongRifles Inc.

Aluminum
I own a business building made to order bolt guns and a machine shop that tends to specialized tooling needs for the firearms industry.

I recently completed a job for an ammunition company to build two chamber gauges in 5.56mm Nato. They needed to be able to qualify a box of 50 rounds at a time.

I chose 1080 steel for the material and after getting the speeds/feeds sorted out (I broke two reamers:angry:) I was able to chamber a total of 150 bores with one tool using a HSS reamer manufactured by David Kiff, Owner of Pacific Tool and Gauge in White City Oregon.

David is a long time friend and I use his tooling exclusively for gun work. I just wanted to say a public "thanks" and encourage anyone taking on a gun project involving barrel work to seriously consider buying tooling from PTG.

Cheers and all the best,

Chad

DSC_0022-3.jpg

Chad Dixon
LongRifles, Inc.

+1. I'm a small-fry customer for PTG (maybe a reamer and gage set per year) and they have always given me the type of service you'd expect if I were their number one customer. PTG is everything a company ought to be and they deserve (and earn) our business.

GsT

i have seen some of your posts on br central but i am not registered there. i have no way to search that site but aren't you the one that trues rem700 receivers vertically on a cnc mill? if so, i really like that idea.

Best in The Business!

Yep, Dave Kiff is the best.

I have around 120 reamers in the chest, back in 1995 I started buying from Pacific Tool.

Once you have used Pacific Tool reamers and have worked with Dave Kiff, there is no other, and you ask yourself the question: Why did I ever deal with another reamer maker?

I have sent a lot of my other maker reamers to Dave for a "Proper Regrind" and pilot bushing installation.

Anyone fooling with chambering should obtain Dave's book of chamber prints.

I broke a new HSS 243 reamer once, Dave sent me a free replacement (took only 2 days), and it was carbide to boot!

I only sent them an Email this week complimenting them on the quality I found in there reamers. Out of this world to use, brilliant cutting capabilities and beautiful sound to there cutting action. they just sound so right when there cutting. People with good experience will understand what I mean when I say they sound good when they're cutting.

Dave Kiff and Crew..

Chad:

I agree totally. Dave and his staff are A number 1 in my book.

Why did you not make those blocks out of 12L14 then surface heat treat.

Nat Lambeth

12L-14 wasn't available in the size I needed from the vendor I use. Since the hardest thing that goes in this gauge is a loaded brass cartridge I figured the 1080 would be fine.

That and heat treating this thing would probably be a real biche with all the holes in it. I'm guessing it'd be all over the place when done.

They came out great and the cst is a happy camper so I'm happy. Considering what the other ones look like that they have in the shop, I think I did ok. They are pretty rough looking.

Yeah billet is a buzz word used far too much (just like "custom" which is a word I despise and refuse to use anymore) but ya' know what? It helps to sell a product so I'll be a whore and use it like everyone else.:D

I have 40 or so finish reamers from PTG and I can honestly say, their dimensional control is astounding.

Never....I mean ever, have I had an issue.

I'm an engineer, who works with machinists and toolmakers all over the world...

I don't know how they do it.

I just fire Dave an email with dimensions and a reamer shows up a few days later....

superb....and keep up the good work Dave

Ben Hooper

As an international customer of PTG i got to say, AWESOME service and great tooling. All new reamers i have are bought from them, and will continue to do so. Good prices to.

billet

Well since you've confessed your sin and pointed out that was MONEY and not ignorance that motivated you I grant you absolution.

We sell machines and have a customer wanting size 8.8mm spiral reamers.
Does anyone know the difference between YG-1 brand and dormer brand reamers?

I think you are lost. This is an old thread about a company that manufactures chamber reamers, which are really form tools.

If you want an answer to your question you would be better off starting a new thread in the general section of Practical Machinist.

Back