What's new
What's new

Bill Holmes - anyone built?

Klaus Enuff

Aluminum
wondering if anyone has built any of the Bill Holmes guns or has any knowledge of the quality of his designs. He seems to have published most of his work thru Paladin press, it doesnt give me the most confidence.

I have the book and am seriously considering the design. There is a lot of good stuff in the book and I'm told the design is fairly safe. Though I don't much care to cut down the barrel like he does. I think there is a copy on a PDF file over at prexis.com but I cant seem to get in there tonight.

I'm using his bolt design but changing a lot of things as far as cosmetics of the rifle go. I dislike the stock set up.

I have downloaded all of his books on pdf, Paladin press usually has crap survivalist stuff or loose your fingers knowledge. Holmes seems solid from reading his work, I just want to know if there are any success stories out there.

Have all of his books and must say I really like them.
Did make an attempt to build his single shot pistol but only finished the reciever (yet). And that´s where his weakest point is, the drawings. Very crude and inaccurate and leaves you with a lot of guesswork.
But he is an original and the best source for the home builder that wants something more than a "gun" made out of pipe fittings and springs from your vifes washing machine.
Take care.

I built his .50 bmg design. Shoots fine, but the barrel thread measurement are incorrect from what I remember......other than than that, all was ok. Any other questions, just ask...

Garyh, what was the wrong measurement/correct one. I am most interested in the .50 cal rifle as it is the one I am most likely able to legally construct.

The bearrel threads versus the barrel bushing/bearing threads. I remember both are listed at 1.5 inches, whick will not work!

Dont know about the Cross Fire but I have an old Gun Dgest where the Holmes MP (machine pistol) is in the catalog.
But according to his writings he always had trouble with the feds so he gave up on actual mass manufacturing.

Back