A bit OT, but I went to an "Old military rifle" shoot today - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

to clarify,those pic's were from my scoped remington at 600, not an iron sighted M96..., and in keeping with the gunsmithing aspect,I put it together with a trued 700 receiver, Bartlien heavy profile 1 in 8.5 twist 5R barrel,chambered with a PTG match reamer, in a bedded Choate stock,with an old Redfield 6400 scope boosted to 24 power,not fancy,just functional.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Ggaskill, I told myself this AM to check the twist.

Ok, with a tight patch it shows 1 in 8", but I assume there may be some slippage. Really, Thanks, I was going to give the 140's away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Parts, what brand are your bullets? I shoot sierra 142 hpbt and 140's at 100 yards and get good accuracy. (limited mainly by aged eyes unfortunately). Try the H4831SC, a load that is not hot,and seat your bullets out a ways, use Lapua cases, they will last alot longer than remington or winchester but norma are good also.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arkansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Be wary of what anyone tells you, friend or not. Keep in mind the saying, "Trust but verify", but remember it as "Doubt but verify".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Having seen many photos of abbreviated hands (All crimson colored) I'm not a brave loader. First though I need to study scope mounting, for as jmm03 says my eyes aren't up to open sights and seem to be getting worse every year.

I see load data up to near 2700 FPS but was hoping to load for 2450, or whatever the book says is the low load.

Funny, all the gun shows over all the years and I ignored the military rifles. They are just as interesting and historic as the pistols and revolvers though. The OP mentioned a shoot where a bunch of guys brought them, that had to be grand fun.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oregon is not very close to Phoenix but the CMP Western Games is playing there 19 Oct through 22 Oct and there will be a lot of old military rifles being shot there.

7. Likes partsproduction liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I should be able to do some shooting at Adair range at Yuma in November. You folks in Az are very fortunate.
    oregon is not a gun friendly state.

Parts, what brand are your bullets?
    All I have are Berger 140 grain Elite Hunter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One should always be an informed loader... remember that the older model 93 actions were rated around 45.000 psi and should never be loaded hot. A good safe accurate load for the swede can usually be had that is in the midrange of the load table, at least it was for me. Jim

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    nice work on that swede Bill, is that stock maple? (I am partial to military stocked swede's but I certainly appreciate beautiful work...) The 6.5 x 55 works very well at longer ranges. I have a Remington model 700 that I shoot at 600 yards with great effect,(well,sometimes with great effect...)jim
    Nice group. What cartridge?
    The Swedish original stock is indeed very nice and I do keep a couple in all original shape. For this one I've used maple with ebony and bloodwood fore-end and grip caps.