Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt flutes

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    You sell the sizzle, not the steak!
    I prepare sizzled steak for myself, but sell sizzled steak with a fancy parsley garnish!

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'Day Fella's,

From my experience with bolt (or barrel) fluting, here's my "Two Bob's" worth.
    You can have two types Straight and Helical.
    The reason for Helical flutes, on a bolt body over the Straight version, has more to do with reliable ammunition feeding than any thing.
    On a bolt with Straight flutes, the ammo in the magazine can engage with the flute on the underside (at 6 O'Clock), of the bolt body, and can cause difficulting in bolt rotation. This is not an issue with Helical bolt body flutes.
    This can be addressed, by having a intermitent/interupted straight flute, on the underside of a bolt body.

The other thing to consider is weight.
    Given this, "the shortest distance between two points, is a straight line".
    When Helical flutes are cut, this intails taking a longer path/distance and thus, removes slightly more material and weight, from the bolt/barrel, than with Straight flutes.

Appearance seems to be another reason, for bolt/barrel fluting.

In my esperience, if you want a ultralight rifle, for extreme mountain hunting (like Tahr Hunting in New Zealand's, Southerm Alps), you will appreciate removing every ounce/gram you can, from your kit (back pack (and it's contents) Rifle, scope base, scope, etc).

Hope that helps

D'h!
    Homer