What's new
What's new

Bore reamers

homebrew.357

Aluminum
Hi Guys, I`m looking over there for a pull through bore reamer, not a chamber reamer, and having a hard job of finding one and to get an answer from my Emails. I`m in New Zealand so is extorting a problem, tried Danjon`s, Drill masters, so anyone know of a reamer maker that wants to sell them. I'll even go for one made in china, or who sells second hand ones. :confused:, Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks, Homebrew.357.

That would be Pacific tool and gauge, ok I have sent them a email and what I`m looking for is a pull through .450" reamer, my drill leaves a hole of .444" so that's only .006" to finish size. Length, 33" long with oil through and as I don`t know the tec stuff of the T/C reamer head, flute numbers, length, so I would go with what they say is best. So waiting for an answer from them. Fingers X, Homebrew.357.

Do you have a email for them other than [email protected], I'm getting no answers. Have opened a account with them and found a 45-70,.450" reamer but pull or push?. And at $180.50 for reamer, $73.60 shipping, = $254.10 I`m hopping this is NZ $ . Not much info as to what you are getting. so some other contact would be helpful.

... I'm getting no answers.;

It's a holiday in the US this week/weekend; not likely to get a response before 12/2 PST.

Last edited:
I bought a bore reamer from ptg earlier this year,.30 cal pull reamer on a 48" tube. Worked out at $400nzd. Get used to waiting,I seem to remember a 12 week wait till it was shipped.The next reamer I needed was a .350 cal which I made by buying a $16 ebay 8.9mm hand reamer from China.Set it up in a collet chuck,ground a spigot to fit inside seamless 4130 aero tube, grooved the spigot to allow oil flow and silver soldered to tube.It's only HSS not carbide,but does the job and cost about $100 total.

Yep, that's another way I could at it, I've just reamed out a barrel that I cut the rifling to deep. The bore was .463" I wanted .458" so did what you did, ground a .480" milling cutter to fit in my tube, grove for oil but just ground a grove on the side for a pin to hold it in. Did the job and a finale ream to .500" with the old hacksaw trick. Now rifling it to .510" with a 1-24" twist for a 27" 50-90. So will look in to that and I`m not buying nothing till I know what I`m getting. Cheers, H B.

PT&G has been terribly slow the last few years and messing the orders up.
I've given up and started using JGS. PTG reamers still cut nice, but the girls who answer the phones are not much help. JGS uses the same pilots as PTG but they are much more professional to deal with.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Looked them up and don`t export J G S precision, would love one from them. Will have search on eBay, I get my gun drills from there, delivered in five days to my door. But every time I put in bore reamers I get chamber reamers.
:bawling: H B.

OK, got two 12mm straight flute reamers for $58, just a bit over size but can grind them to the diameter I want and set up on my pull rod. I may jut be getting there, Cheers and thanks guys,Homebrew.357.

I've given up and started using JGS. PTG reamers still cut nice, but the girls who answer the phones are not much help. JGS uses the same pilots as PTG but they are much more professional to dea
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
And the JGS reamers actually cut good.

Well tried my pull through reamer with lots off oil and came out spot on, I ground it to .446" and the bore came out at .449", so happy with that leaves a bit for polishing. This is with 12/15 steel, nice to machine and its a new barrel for my home made Hawken .45 its six groves cut rifling .010" deep with a twist of 1-48". I have now shaved the octagonal, glued the under bar in place and cut the dove tails for the sights , In the process of browning it then it`s off to the range to set the sights and see how it shoots. This is the third barrel I have made for it as I have improved my system of how I make the barrels and now come with a right hand twist form 1-18" to 1-60". Pic`s of the process . Homebrew.357.
P1030305.jpg, Under bar glued, clamped.
P1030307.jpg,
P1030309.jpg,Looking good.
P1030310.jpg, Just a tap in for the sights.

Homebrew, do you guys in NZ not have enough of a machine tool industry to support a couple custom tool grinder shops?

It would seem to me that your best solution would be to sit down and sketch up what you want and email a local shop for a quote.

For as crappy a place as Canada is, as far as an essentially openly hostile to manufacturing set of Governments, there are still several CNC Cutter Grinders that I can call upon to make what I specify, from solid, as custom cutters.

Back