What's new
What's new

Borescope camera questions

Cheenist

Hot Rolled
I have a Hawkeye borescope and need to add video capability. Hawkeye wants almost 1k for their camera. What are you guys using? I would like to use a computer monitor for viewing.

Try a web cam; they are cheap and easy to interface with a computer. You will probably have to fabricate something to hold them together.

By the time you get a camera and make an adapter, and buy the video capture software, you might be better off buying from gradient lens. I have their setup and am very happy with it.

By the time you get a camera and make an adapter, and buy the video capture software, you might be better off buying from gradient lens. I have their setup and am very happy with it.

I saw a digital setup about 10 years ago and was not all that impressed. Do you find the newer digital systems any better for image quality, magnification and size or is it the same old picture, blurred and grained up a bit? Gunsmiths up here are po-folk and generally do not have such fancies and modernizations so its tough for me to keep up on the technology. The bummer was when they shut down the RCMP K Division Lab here in the city. They always had info on what was new in the land of wonderment and amazement.

I made up an adaptor for mine which fit a small digital camera and the results were an absolute failure. My next move is to pay the big bucks for the gradient setup just as you suggest.
I'm not particularly tech savvy in the way of digital photography so may I ask if any other devices or programs are required to make it work and how user friendly is the set up?

I have a Unit from Medit. Connects via USB and the included software takes excellent Video and stills. I purchased the pedal they sell and installed it. Able to start and stop the recording and snap the stills without taking my hands off the barrel and camera. If you plan on scoping alot or if you have the room, purchase a Borescope stand. I'll have to check to see who made mine.
Link for Camera USB Camera for Borescope / Fiberscope "ImagePRO - USB"

I've been able to take digital pictures by setting my camera on macro and holding it to a telescope eyepiece, I suspect it would be simple enough to make a frame to hold a manual focus webcam the proper distance from the monitor. A quick search of amazon just showed 144 webcams less than $15 so even nice ones are pretty cheap.

All,

I am new to this forum.

Looking for advice on building a camera (video, web, etc) adapter for my Gradient Lens borescope. Anyone use a GoPro?

And yes, the video camera from Gradient Lens is still $1K +.

If you are familiar with electronics, There are a number videos on YouTube that using the Arduino platform that to enable you make use of the small video camera from dead cell phone.
Small camera, free, good picture quality and pennies compared to other suggested prices.
If you are not so electrically inclined feel free to pm or call / text me 215-847-2851, sounds like an interesting project.

The Lyman is not to bad, besides the small screen. I would almost say it is zoomed in to far as you can see nearly every tooling mark and metal pore.

Back