boring solid stock for a barrel
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello, Im the new guy here. I want to bore a new barrel from solid round stock for a black powder pistol Im making. What is the best method of drill/boring for a 12" smooth bore. Wont the drill bit get off center even on a good lathe? How would you do it? The reamed size will be .750" I know it is a big bore but even small bore are hard to get straight arent they? Please reply.

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Im sorry I cant find the edit button but the barrel will be 12" long with a .750" bore

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bruce, you could use oversize material and turn it between centers after you have drilled and reamed. The drills walk even for the custom barrelmakers. Thebarrelman

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like Butch said, I would start with over size stock, center it the best you can, and use a center drill to start the hole, then a 1/4" deep hole drill ( one with 3 fluts if you can find one, they run truer) and use a peck feed. Next dril to just under .750 then ream, its darn hard to boar that long due to the flex in the bar and I don't know were you would even find a 5/8 or 1/2 bar that long anyway. Note that just because a drill, or reamer says it is .750 don't mean it will cut that size, the hole could be larger or smaler. You mite want to ask over on the Generl fourm side, they should know, a better/right way to go about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Butch and Kurt for the help. I will give it a try. I can always slide a liner in if I cant get it straight. It doesnt have to be any particular bore size but Ive always wanted a big one. This gun will be damascus and have a matchlock ignition and also a damascus tomahawk head. I hope you guys over here are open minded for guns you dont see everyday.

Linwood, Ma USA, the center of the known universe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Perhaps you can post pics as you progress through the job?????

As to your question, yes the drill may walk some but for a bp pistol I don't think it will be too much of problem . Use appropriate speeds and feed as evenly as you can, preferably under power. If you can bore a couple inches before reaming this may help straighten the hole. When reaming use as much coolant/lubricant as possible.

PaulG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take a look here:

http://www.riflebarrels.com/articles/barrel_making.htm

The site as a whole has a lot of good information. Hope this helps.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Alabama
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get somebody to gundrill it for you. That would be the best bet for a hole that deep.