What's new
What's new

Browning sa-22 barrel thread and profile

72bwhite

Titanium
Any one have the dimension for a Belgian browning sa-22 barrel
Or even better a spare barrel floating around.
It appears they aren’t currently available.

I got a compleat back half of the rifle really cheap
And the only 2 parts I haven’t been able to find are the barrel and the nut.

The other question would be are the Belgian made ones the same thread as the new
Japanese made ones?

Why go to the trouble and expense well because it’s a browning and they are nice shooters,
And I just can’t stand seeing one of those poor orphan unloved guns languishing in a shop.

You can stick a chunk of plasticine into the thread and get a pretty good idea on the pitch and profile. Or scrounge a little Dental Impressioning material, the stuff they use to size up your tooth stubs when ordering in crowns and such.

Even a thread gage and a flashlight, used in conjunction with a magnifier.

With those, make yourself a little plug gage.

Those are sweet shooters!

Numeric has was the first place I looked, barrel and the nut are to only parts they don’t have

I’m not even concerned on bore condition.
Nut would just need disinter and number of groves.

Yes I could do a casting to get the thread pitch but that still leaves a great deal unknown.

Numeric has was the first place I looked, barrel and the nut are to only parts they don’t have

I’m not even concerned on bore condition.
Nut would just need disinter and number of groves.

Yes I could do a casting to get the thread pitch but that still leaves a great deal unknown.

Yeah, but if you started dicking around with a thread pitch gage when you started asking for help, like as not, the 'unknown', would already be known by now.

Honestly, building the damn takedown locking parts is going to be the hardest part. Make a little brass plug gage with a 60 degree by whatever diameter you think is a good place to start, and just keep trying the thread in the action until the fit suits you.

Make a full round thread on the barrel and thread it in to the action, organize the indexing of the interrupted thread and mark it out on the barrel, before you move it to one or other form of rotary milling to create the proper quarter turn fit (also partly, or maybe even 'mainly' controlled by the locking ring), and index the extractor slots.

Always thought that platform would be a GREAT one to put a integral silencer barrel on to...

All that "Unknown", is staring you right in the face, in the form of the physical parts that are in front of you. You just have to turn them inside out, at least on paper, so as to know what you need.

Measure what you have. Make parts that fit. Easy! :)

Yeah, but if you started dicking around with a thread pitch gage when you started asking for help, like as not, the 'unknown', would already be known by now.

Honestly, building the damn takedown locking parts is going to be the hardest part. Make a little brass plug gage with a 60 degree by whatever diameter you think is a good place to start, and just keep trying the thread in the action until the fit suits you.

Make a full round thread on the barrel and thread it in to the action, organize the indexing of the interrupted thread and mark it out on the barrel, before you move it to one or other form of rotary milling to create the proper quarter turn fit (also partly, or maybe even 'mainly' controlled by the locking ring), and index the extractor slots.

Always thought that platform would be a GREAT one to put a integral silencer barrel on to...

All that "Unknown", is staring you right in the face, in the form of the physical parts that are in front of you. You just have to turn them inside out, at least on paper, so as to know what you need.

Measure what you have. Make parts that fit. Easy! :)

Not to put a to fine a point on it but you have been as useful as tits on a boar hog

And not what was asked yes I could reverse engineer it if I have to, or just make a non takedown barrel
Like Remington used in the 241.

The question was any one have a barrel they would part with or know of one
Or have the dimensions needed to make one

The only parts I haven’t been able to source are the barrel and the nut

Not to put a to fine a point on it but you have been as useful as tits on a boar hog

And not what was asked yes I could reverse engineer it if I have to, or just make a non takedown barrel
Like Remington used in the 241.

The question was any one have a barrel they would part with or know of one
Or have the dimensions needed to make one

The only parts I haven’t been able to source are the barrel and the nut

None so blind as those that refuse to see.

Have fun waiting for someone else to do your homework...

None so blind as those that refuse to see.

Have fun waiting for someone else to do your homework...

And yet you still provide no useful information, and apparently haven’t even looked at a picture of
The barrel end.
Given when it was designed and who designed it might be inch thread,
But given who manufactured it it could be metric.

However it appears I have found a barrel chambered in short

And yet you still provide no useful information, and apparently haven’t even looked at a picture of
The barrel end.
Given when it was designed and who designed it might be inch thread,
But given who manufactured it it could be metric.

However it appears I have found a barrel chambered in short

I've looked at several. Have two in my locker.

But you insist that I must be useless, because I said to measure off the part you have in hand.

Ain't you gonna feel like a frikken moron, if that barrel does not fit, eh?

Make sure you get the proper "Short" parts that go with, too. I'll let you figure out what they are. LOL! FWIW the "Short" barrels were 1 in 22 twist rate and don't stabilize a LR worth a shit. Do you want a Short gun? LR barrels were 1 in 16 twist.

These things have been made in Belgium, over several generations of models, ranging from pretty basic, with a hole in the stock at the top of the wrist, through the more modern 'feed through the side of the stock' models, and Japan, as well as by Remington. Plus the Chinese clones, and like as not, others. Nothing gonna work quite as well as fitting the parts to the ones you have in hand! Thus my comments to the effect of "Fit it to what you have!"

Your timing and feed are dependent on how deep you make the barrel tenon sit. You have, more or less, one thread pitch to work within, and the barrel nut does the rest. Off the top of my head, I would suggest looking at something around a quarter of a thread pitch longer than what you can measure directly to the bolt face, but it may be one full turn past that. Still wrapping my head around it. Again, a plug gage tells. It may not actually be that critical, again, due to the nut.

Make the plug gage, and know, rather than hoping. The pitch is easy to measure, and you likely have no business mucking about with guns if you are too dumb to use a thread pitch gage.
Same goes for the thread angle. Shine a light in, and see how the gage looks against the threads and decide. Probably 60 degrees, but who knows. Check.
The outside dimension for the two extractor hooks (You have two right?) can be worked out by their outside dimension, the inside, same via the inside dimensions of the extractor. The extractor slides up and down on the bolt a bit. Work out a workable angle using the same plug gage you used to check out the threads. You can always cut deeper, esp on the test piece.

Still think I'm stupid, or are you starting to reconsider? Either way, good luck! These are great little rifles, I have lots of good memories dating back almost 45 years, and figure that if any gun is worth putting a bit of effort in to, it's probably as good as any to do to.

And yet you still offer no really useful information
Stupid nope just not useful, and a dick.
Now useful would have been od major and minor, overall length of threads
And a couple pictures
I know how to measure thread pitch

Just like I provided the guy who wanted to to know throw to do a rolling block barrel

And yet you still offer no really useful information
Stupid nope just not useful, and a dick.
Now useful would have been od major and minor, overall length of threads
And a couple pictures
I know how to measure thread pitch

Just like I provided the guy who wanted to to know throw to do a rolling block barrel

I have provided lots of useful information, and you have sat on your ass and whinged like a bitch instead of doing your own homework.

Found this in under twenty seconds of looking.
Browning_22_Barrel_Receiver_take_down.jpg

If you got off your ass and looked, you'd already be done making what you need.

Trev sod off go away,
Go find some one else to call lazy and stupid.

a quick web search provided everything you spouted, a day before you chimed in.
By next Tuesday when I can take possession of the receiver half
I should have my parts order given it shipped today.

Trev sod off go away,
Go find some one else to call lazy and stupid.

a quick web search provided everything you spouted, a day before you chimed in.
By next Tuesday when I can take possession of the receiver half
I should have my parts order given it shipped today.

Y'know, for being the guy that started with the insults, you sure got a thin skin! LOL!

And now you whinge that YOU are the victim. Oh Noes!

I actually assumed you were NOT stupid, which really, was why I suggested that pulling the data off the parts you had in hand was the most appropriate means of getting it right.
Oh, right, you didn't bother to tell anyone you didn't actually have it in hand to measure yet. Think that would have made more of a difference? Maybe...

Good luck with your project, those are a fine little gun!

And,

Gee, I'm sorry you feel that way! LOL!

Back