What's new
What's new

Building a 4x rimfire/Vudoo clone

Holland375

Plastic
Building a 40x rimfire/Vudoo clone

I started shooting NRL 22 with a 10/22 that shoots ok. As long as they don't use the 1 inch targets at 100 or the .25 past 25 yards I can compete with the Vudoo's. Normally they kill me, so I am building mine. Vudoo's do shoot better than my 10/22. I have tried everything except a tuner. Ill post pics of the progress. I am not paying 1,700 for a barreled action, lol.

Last edited:
Most bolt actions shoot better than semiautomatics because the of the bolt movement and this ensures consistent lock up.
My 10/22s have considerable slop inside the receiver and this helps insure reliability but at the cost of accuracy however slight.
The barrel being clamped into the receiver also presents another set of problems. The barrel on one of my 10/22s is bedded and the action is free floated to get around this issue

I threaded my Kidd receiver before it got within 3 feet of anything resembling a barrel.

Bedding needs work even before I start inletting it for the rear lug. The screw torques up kind of soft, and it flexes a LOT squeezing the barrel and forearm together. Seems bad to me, but this is my first 10-22 with a floated barrel so maybe its typical?

I need to build some sort of simple fixture to hold stocks in the mill. Maybe some tall vise jaws, notched for a plate that gets screwed to the top of the forearm?

Thoughts, ideas, pictures?

I have just set my stocks on the milling vise. For wood stocks take small cuts and climb cut, that way you will avoid splinters on your wood stock. And dont crush the stock on the vise, another reason to take small cuts and go slow.

I threaded my Kidd receiver before it got within 3 feet of anything resembling a barrel.

Bedding needs work even before I start inletting it for the rear lug. The screw torques up kind of soft, and it flexes a LOT squeezing the barrel and forearm together. Seems bad to me, but this is my first 10-22 with a floated barrel so maybe its typical?

I need to build some sort of simple fixture to hold stocks in the mill. Maybe some tall vise jaws, notched for a plate that gets screwed to the top of the forearm?

Thoughts, ideas, pictures?
Are you using these in a competition where you must use a 10/22? The reason I ask is that I have found the dedicated ar 22lr platform to be significantly for accurate than the 10/22 platform. I have built a dedicated 22 upper on a cmmg pattern conversion for highpower practice and it is extremely accurate.
John Scandale has built a few for s00yd smallbore competition and states that he holds his own against Anschutz rifles with it. (this is prone not f class, the shooter makes a difference.)

I finally trued it out, only shoot a few rounds, 20 actually. Used standard sk ammo and it shoots 4 in the same hole one flyer. I need to finish bedding it and try different ammo and actually measure groups but it shows promise.

Back