What's new
What's new

Bull pup

Sweany

Plastic
Is a bull pup still legal?
Are there barrell and stock length requirements?

I have an old .22 I want to cut down for rat killing. But don't want to get crosswise with anybody.
Thanks
smile.gif

Bullpup or not, if its a rifle, IIRC it must be 26" overall length minimum, and the barrel 16" minimum (use 16-1/2" to be safe). Note I said "overall length". There is no requirement for stock length.

Involute,

IIRC the barrel is measured very simplistically from the end, not including flash suppresors, etc.., to the union with the receiver. So for most guns it would include part of the chamber.

Actually the measuring technique is to put a cleaning rod down the barrel until it contacts the breech face, mark it where it sticks out, and measure the distance between the end and the mark. So I expect that flash suppressors, etc., would be included in the barrel length.

Generally, to be conservative (within the law), I wouldn't include the chamber within the 16-1/2", especially with a rimfire, we're only talking an inch. Actually, since were talking about a bullpup, I would go for the maximum barrel length that will fit within the 26" overall length. Also, muzzle brakes and flash hiders dont count unless they are permanently attached (pinned, welded, etc). A good example of this are the AR-15 "M-4" carbine civilian clones.

Back