Bullets in flight visible - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think they are tracer rounds.
    Bill look at the last few seconds of the video you posted in post #6.
    A ricochet comes back into frame on the floor.
    Clearly sputtering:

9e0d3b17-937f-466d-a189-1f627a4c50ff.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You may have something about the camera record being persistent, I was watching a shootout between a police car and a fool shooting backwards at it, every one of the cops bullets were clear as day darting into the pickup trucks body. Dash cam.
    A participant at the naval battle at Tsushima between the Russians and the Japanese in 1905 wrote about seeing the 10" shells "Like black birds" approaching, he said it looked absolutely like they would hit him in the eye, but every time landed dozens of yards away. I've looked for that account since then and have never found it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to the 8:10 time marker and watch the shock wave caught by the tracking high speed camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suppose it would make some sense for them to use all tracers, especially if they did not have a lot of experience. They wouldn't be worried about barrel life or heating it. I saw the sputtering object but didn't consider it a tracer.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by partsproduction View Post
    You may have something about the camera record being persistent, I was watching a shootout between a police car and a fool shooting backwards at it, every one of the cops bullets were clear as day darting into the pickup trucks body. Dash cam.
    A participant at the naval battle at Tsushima between the Russians and the Japanese in 1905 wrote about seeing the 10" shells "Like black birds" approaching, he said it looked absolutely like they would hit him in the eye, but every time landed dozens of yards away. I've looked for that account since then and have never found it.
    I have seen numerous accounts of large artillery projectiles being visible.

Re showing up on infra red sensitive cameras, they also might be visible with night vision goggles. Have you noticed that none of the military gunsmiths have commented?

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    I suppose it would make some sense for them to use all tracers, especially if they did not have a lot of experience. They wouldn't be worried about barrel life or heating it. I saw the sputtering object but didn't consider it a tracer.

Bill
    Yes- it’s a odd bit.
    Bounces into frame- I couldn’t say what it is but it is something..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Both my Samsung cell phone camera and my Canon SX160 are infrared sensitive. You can check yours by pointing a TV remote at them. I used the volume control button because it sends continuous flashes. I don't have a shooting range close by anymore. Maybe someone who does can try videos of bullets.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is very common to see a bullet path through a spotting scope at a high power match. At 600 or 1000 yards you can estimate the impact location and the target score. The key is to be right behind the shooter. Remember it takes a high power bullet about 1 second to travel 1000 yards. For those interested in such things here is a link to a neat autograph of a bullet in flight. Bullet through Apple | Smithsonian American Art Museum

Photographing bullets in flight requires very specialized shutters and high speed flash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a 10/22 that I think, achieved “critical mass” in this respect after I made enough ludicrous upgrades over the years.
    It weighs so much, sits so still, and has such good optics that it literally doesn’t induce a blink when it is fired. So, from bench at 100 yds with the sun behind me, it is just like watching BB’s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen numerous accounts of large artillery projectiles being visible.

I have seen large artillery projectiles being fired. You stand behind a 155 cannon and it's easy to see them leaving. Have them a couple miles behind you and firing over your head and you can hear them going over.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Long, long ago I read an account of one of the famous violinists, Jascha Heifitz comes to mind but don't bet on it, was in a war zone during War 2 and was able to track artillery shells by their sound and direct return fire.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Long, long ago I read an account of one of the famous violinists, Jascha Heifitz comes to mind but don't bet on it, was in a war zone during War 2 and was able to track artillery shells by their sound and direct return fire.

Bill
    Prior to the 1980s if you wanted to locate an enemy battery you needed two locators to get a triangulation. Heifitz may have been able to correctly determine the incoming path but without a second locator to make the triangulation, you would just be wasting rounds trying to figure out where on the line the enemy battery was sitting.

Now we have this nifty device called Fire Finder radar which tracks the ballistic path of the incoming round and works the math to backtrack that path to determine the exact point of origin. In the early days of the Iraq war an number of insurgents firing mortars into the Green Zone found out the hard way how well that works.

Steve