What's new
What's new

Burnside carbine build

peacons

Plastic
Still working on the drawings.

Have most of them finished, doing custom screws now. Need those for the existing holes in the receiver which are oddball threads, close to SAE but a tad looser.

Also researching casting as I'm thinking of casting the lever parts, trigger and breech block parts from silicon bronze. Should be plenty strong since this is a black powder gun.
Probably try lost wax investment casting as I've done lost foam aluminum casting in the past.

Have some magnesium bronze scrap bars for the castings. Thinking of having one of the art casting places in the area do the actual casting with my raw materials and patterns.
Probably easier than making a casting setup (and cheaper).

Last edited:
Good on you sir. I have a real penchant for those civil war carbines. I have a Maynard 2nd model in good condition, the trigger plate was broken. I fixtured it and had it TIGed, and was able to order the missing screws and internals from S & S Firearms. Now it is just waiting on me. The Starr in percussion version has always been my all time favorite. I found an original in a Boise ID gun shop and was able to handle it, but TOO much money could not buy. The other one that really grabs me is the Joslyn in all four models. The Gun Shoppe in OK makes castings for some of the carbines but their customer service and delivery by most accounts is rated just horrible. If they happen to have the part in stock, I guess things go better. Hope this helps.

Progress has been a bit slow so far.
Have the lock plate fabricated and the lockworks functioning.
Need to contour the plate now to at least resemble the lines of the original from the recess on the receiver. that will entail a bit of file work:crazy:

The lock is similar to my Starr lock ....dont like the idea of using a tail on the mainspring as sear spring tho....but I suppose it saved a fair bit of work making the lock .....I was lucky enough to buy a original Starr lock from Dixie when they had them by the dozens (hundreds?)............I question the advisability of using cast bronze for the breech block ,tho ....this is a pressure vessel ,as it were ,and IMHO ,should be steel ,preferably 4140.

Looks like you are doing some pretty nice work fitting up your lock. I will be doing a similar job(s) on my. current LC Smith project before long depending on what I wind up finding for lock parts. Beats watching TV all to pieces 😉.

Back