Button Broach
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Button Broach

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where can I locate manufacturers that I can submit blue prints to for "Button Broaches".

Does anyone have a list of whom I could contact??

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do you mean buttons for rifeling? There is a def between button and broache rifeling. You can try Pacific Tool 541-826-5808, or JGS 541-267-4331

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kurt-Thanks for info-I need the actual "Button" end which is brazed to the long shaft which intern will go down the barrell of a rifle after the "Cutting" broach has been used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Raybetts, my undrestanding is that broached rifling is still a cutting process similar to the cut rifling, except broaching does the whole inside at the same time, as opposed to cutting each groove at a time. And, just as in cut rifling, it is lapped after the broaching for final finish. I am not aware of pulling a button through after broaching, but perhaps it would make a better finish. I that case I would think it would have to match the broach fairly well.

Are you deap hole drilling yourself? Are you broaching the rifling yourself? I would be interested to know what you use for these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First, I spoke in error with regards to the use of the Button Broach. The ID of the barrell is Gun Drilled first, and sometimes Gun-Reamed to produce the ID hole. The Carbide "Button" Broach then is either pushed or pulled to produce the rifling at th desired helix angle as well as depth, etc. The "Button" broach does not creat chips like a standard keyway broach would do, it "Swedges" or "moves" the metal thur plastic deformation-a lot like the process a "Thread Forming" tap would do compared to a cutting tap. I hope this is a better answer.

Also-Kurt, FYI-Pacific Tool and JGS cannot help me, however Apex Broach, Danjon Co, or Drill MAster can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Raybetts

It might help if you did not use the term broach. The process is called Button rifling and I think it is refered to as a "rifling button" and it is usually made of carbide, if I remember right. I think you will find the equipment needed for it to be very specialized and expensive. If I am wrong please let me know about it.

Most of the people I know who do their own rifleing always use the one groove at a time cutting method. (cut rifling)

I am sorry that I do not know of the manufactures, I suppose I would first ask the custom department at Winchester or Remington and see if they would share. If not perhaps the folks at Shielen or Douglas would help you sort it out. I have heard that most barrel manufactures will make custom barrels if you ask, cut rifling only I think.

However it comes out, let us know what you learn.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Danjon makes good buttons. Shilen makes their own buttons. The barrels are gundrilled and always reamed by a reputable barrelmaker. The helix is ground into the button as well as the diameter and size and amt. of grooves. A sine bar helps control the twist rate. Thebarrelman

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I saw some reamer maker say they made buttons. Though it was one of them. O well live and learn.