What's new
What's new

calulating energy

partsproduction

Titanium
Hi,
I finished making my pastors 1/3 scale 1860 Whitworth cannon, and yesterday we shot it. I made up a run of steel "shells" for it with copper driving bands, they are made of stressproof and are 1" diameter about 1.875" long, the ogive is rounded similar in shape to a fatter pistol bullet with a two arc blended ogive.

There are two grooves in each shell for .080" diamter copper wire, which I rolled in and silver soldered, then turned to size.
The back is drilled .810" diameter and most of the full length. The front of these shells are thicker steel to take the impact for the purpose of reusing after digging them out of the sand bank. The rear hollow was filled with lead.
The cannon is rifled 14 grooves and lands, and we settled early on 400 grains of 3Fg powder, as triple F was all we had.
The shells were driven with an aluminum rod and hammer into the riflings from the breech end and the powder poured in behind with the muzzle depressed about 30 degrees. Then the breech was screwed in (Double start acme 1" lead) and the "Pistol" capped with a musket cap. Then we found no one had brought a lanyard! A 1/2" nylon rope sufficed, stretched out 30'.

Four rounds were fired at a plywood target only 60 yards away, and my chronograph only got two times which averaged 1109 FPS. At a shell weight of 1720 grains what would the energy be?
I got a digital film but it doesn't show much, to be honest this thing scared me and I wanted to make myself small to shrapnel, but the barrel is 4150 and quite heavy with reinforcement band at the breech end. The temporary carriage is a loosely fashioned naval type, though it's not known by myself if Whitworths ever sat on naval carriages. The pastor is a wood worker and hopes to make a field carriage later.

So, 1720 grains at 1109 FPS, what is the energy?
IMG_0086 (1).jpg
Elevating screw
IMG_0088.jpg
Breech
IMG_0089 (2).jpg
My gunsmith later cerakoted the tube black.

Formula: Divide the grain weight of the projectile by 7000 to convert to pounds. Divide that answer by 32.17405 to convert to slugs (mass). Divide that answer by two and then multiply by the square of the velocity.

NRDock has the correct final answer (rounded).

That's the basic formula but you have to use the proper mass units to get proper results. In the pounds-feet-seconds system, slugs are the mass unit, so you need to manipulate the pounds to get slugs before you can use that formula. If you are using pounds, then divide them by 32.17 to get the gravitational acceleration out of the number. If you are using grains, you have to divide that number by 7000 to get pounds, then 32.17 to get slugs.

Back