What's new
What's new

carbide button rifling again.

partsproduction

Titanium
Having mentioned earlier that I'd purchased one of the .380 push type rifling buttons in ebay a while ago I thought it good to mention my first experiences with it.

The button came with instructions for $250 which included shipping. They are obviously being made commercially in Eastern Europe probably for some government arms factory, but that's just a guess.
But the reason I think that is that it is a very nicely made button. One end has a green hard substance painted on which may be a solid lubricant.
I emailed the fellow back and forth pumping him for info about what lubrication to use in the tube but he said they used a "special" lubricant which he could not sell. He did suggest a molybdenum powder, actually micro fine so that it comes out of the tube like tooth paste but when you touch it it is obviously a powder. This I mixed with MolyDee into a thick paste.

The blank;
I made the blank out of some 1 1/4" diameter 416A. The variables are blank diameter and bore size. With a thin wall the bore could be far smaller than with a thick wall, but the riflings may not fill out if the wall just bulges out, the metal must be restrained from bulging so the metal can move into the lands I recon. With a bigger blank I figure there is more constriction but bore size is more critical.

The directions said to make a blank about 1" diameter and drill a .344" hole through it, and follow that with a .348" reamer. Well, .348 is an S reamer but not having one I found the closest oddball decimal reamer that was just slightly larger at .353" and ground that down with my Darex end mill grinder, finished right at .348". But there were probably enough errors in my grinding job that the finished hole came out a close sliding fit for a .348 gage pin. If the hole had been exactly .348 that gage pin would not have fit without force.

The directions said to lap the hole and get it as smooth as possible, which I did with a split lap, and when done a .349 pin would enter the hole, too big. Well, I reasoned, too big means less chance of catastrophic failure so for R&D it's good.

To push the button, first of all the button needs to start and stay straight in the axis of the hole, so measurements showed a .360" hole would just clear, so that's what I made a counter bore to being long enough so the whole button fit flush with the end, green end out.

The actual pusher needed to be over 6" long so I bought one made of solid carbide from Israel, and made a special collar to hold it square with the hydraulic press table on the ram, the ram end of the collar I bored to fit 2" up over it thus holding it from trying to go sideways under pressure. At the bottom of that hole I put a needle thrust bearing to allow turning.

The barrel blank itself I threaded into a 3" diameter donut about .700 thick, the counterbore being at the donut end so that the thrust was supported down from above for better balance of force, I could have done it the other way but then there would have been two 6" long items opposing each other in the middle. The instructions said 5 tons should work and though the press is 90 ton the motorized pump delivers only 5-10.

Anyway, I was surprised at how easy the push went, and the bore is rifled but the lands are not as high as I would like. That button did come out pretty warm though.

The riflings are distinct the whole length of the bore so I know the quality of the bore was acceptable albeit too large. In the near future I hope to grind the reamer to .3465" and hone to .3475", as I don't know what the relationship is between enough and too much material to move. I know that with knurls a .001" increase in blank diameter will raise the finished knurl to .003 higher, but because the groove diameter is three times as wide as the land diameter a thousandth and a half may be too much. Once the exact bore diameter is known it should be repeatable.

I'd like to find out what the minimum OD the blank can be and still form good riflings in it, as otherwise a lot of time is wasted turning away metal for no good reason. It might be possible to press a larger tube over the blank to help restrain the pressure too, and then press that off when done, the truth is I have no idea how much concentric restriction is needed.

I tried to take photographs but none of them came out good enough. When I get really high quality riflings I'll try again to take photos.

All of this has been for my own education, I have no desire to go into the barrel making business.

Interesting that they want a lapped finish before you start. I have a little experience with ball burnishing and from little I read you want some tool marks with that process. Maybe the tool marks hold a little lubricant. My first thought would have been the processes are similar, but maybe not.
Anyway thanks for letting us know how it works.

I don't know a thing about all this, but I do know my last Broughton barrel was the best, most consistent barrel I've ever used.

If it only takes 5 tons to push I wouldn't think it is swelling a barrel very darn much. I could be wrong but it doesn't sound like much force

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the blank as I did it, the "donut" is at the top hanging by it in the press with a "chamber" just the right size for the button to drop in flush;
IMG_2235.jpg

The exit end after pressing, some slight deformation evident;
IMG_2232.jpg

Little wify holding barrel up to skylight for me to photograph, two photos;
IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2234.jpg

The fellow in Serbia told me today to go to .347 finish lapped. Now there will be some pressure!

Remember, button rifling is ironing in the lands and grooves, not cutting them. The better known barrel makers, most successful, drill, ream, and lap to .008" under groove size. The lube is the real secret in button rifling.

button rifling is ironing in the lands and grooves

The closest operation I can think of is form threading, hole diameter is crucial for good results. So far I've made 4 "barrels" none of which are good enough for me to make a pistol out of that I could be proud of. I'm running out of money, wifey says we are down $16K this year what with paying wages and spending on my hobbies.
But I'd like to buy some true gun drills 10" long, build a oil return box and push oil through the drill with a hydraulic system a guy made me take years ago. It's a 1/4 HP motor driving a vane pump that sits atop a reservoir, and the return box would just run back into that. I suspect regular hydraulic 30 weight would do for the short run. But assuming I buy the drills and use the gun drilling system, how much do I leave for the reamer? I understand that feeding the gun drill will make a dramatic increase of finish, but no where do I read it's good enough without reaming.
Again, once I get that info, how much do I leave for lapping? I assume the reaming would be 1/4 to 1/3 the drilling RPM, or even less, and how is .002 per cutting edge feed? Does reaming also need flushing? Would air flushing be acceptable?
The reason for all the questions is that I'm tired of learning the hard way. :) It's expensive in money and time.

I've had the opportunity to have visited several barrel makers. I think it would save you both time and money with a visit. I think there are a few in Idaho and Montana I believe. You could go to Redmans in Omak, Washington and see if he will show you how he buttons his barrel liners.
I can give you a tour through Shilen's shop if you are ever this way.

Thanks Butch.
I suppose exact dimensions are only a stepping stone to less wasteful experimentation. Any of the four barrels I've made would serve in a pinch, but like most guys, I take pride in my work. Actually two look really good but they don't fool me, the lands are not high enough to last.

I suggest you get some cutting fluid suitable for deep hole drilling before wrecking gun drills.You will also need a sharpening system.Many years ago I worked for some skinflints who sharpened drills by eye,used waste oil for coolant and the results were comical.Pull reaming has also been long proved to straighten drill holes more effectively than push.Its funny how your hobbies start to interfere with business,and trash your bottom line.Regards John.

Its funny how your hobbies start to interfere with business,and trash your bottom line.Regards John.

Regards? What kind of regards are those? Do you know me? Do you know what has happened to my business? Not beyond a simple statement I made about LIMITING expenditures that Don't add to our income. That was me saying that.
The problems with my business are mostly because of breaking my back in 2009 and not being able to work as much as I did. If you didn't know that why speak against me? Did I do something to you? I'm careful to not be deliberately rude,you should try it.
My business has been related to energy, oil drilling, we make parts for the industry. Our business was effected mostly because of unfortunate election results in 2004 and 2008. NOT because of my hobbies.
The reason I asked about these things is Because I want helpful feedback, direction and Friendly advice.
I have sharpening tools, and am willing to spend money for 5 gallons of any cutting oil I really need. What is your complaint, really? Is it that someone might enter the forbidden esoteric and secret occupations? If so Why?
I believe our world is changing rapidly, most Americans are asleep. If you are a gunsmith sir you doubtless owe much of your income to the whims of sportsmen and their hobbies. This new hobby of mine has nothing to do with what they do, it is exploring and codifying techniques for isolated groups and individuals to make their own firearms legally. You may not know that it is legal to do so. Since I DON'T know you I will not presume to say what you know or how you earn your money, or why you don't seem to want me asking questions in this vein.
No regards at all from me.

Edit, I meant to say unfortunate election results in 2008 and 2012, to an anti oil energy administration.

Damn dude, wake up on the wrong side of the bed much? All I took from his comment was that he was relating to the idea of personal interests getting in the way of saving money.

Yeesh.

Remember, button rifling is ironing in the lands and grooves, not cutting them. The better known barrel makers, most successful, drill, ream, and lap to .008" under groove size. The lube is the real secret in button rifling.

Any idea on allowance for spring back after stress relieving?

Contact Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool & Gauge.

The guy is a genius at what you seek. I know he has made pull reamers for us, We use Eldorado tool Gun Drills. Eldorado also makes rifling buttons, I believe they are WAY less money than $250 each. We pull rifle our blanks (Can't tell you the company)

Is your material Pre-Hard? 4140 Steel or 416SS HRC 28-32 is what you seek.

Not sure what coolant we are using in the gun drill. The button lube is a paste, light green product, I think made for Boeing - or under their name

Back