What's new
What's new

Cerakoting

D Nelson

Stainless
Trying out some cerakote. Trying to do urban camo pattern here is some pics let me know what you think.
8546f997622f932fa18b755e349914b1.heic
3f84395742f4dd4c568068998b045550.heic
44cac84cf5b9eae545f52a0da3120a47.heic
63c638dc5beb807636192522f9c0a772.jpg
57be54ec2881f2149876fe59744f78ff.jpg
a413e7c63a598b6ad53ad156ecd2daac.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not a gun person but my son has built several and used that process on them too. I think your's look very well done, good job.

Stuart

Those look great! I think the 'urban camo' pattern would be improved by making the pattern larger. Love the flag in it. How much experience do you have with Cerakote? What are you using for application? I have a couple 'paint' jobs coming up and have been considering trying Cerakote myself. I have a 1911 that was cerakoted by a local shop and I'm very pleased with the resistance to wear.

GsT

Air cure on the top camo?
I've been told by NIC to do no more than one partial cure bake on the heat cure, which would preclude multiple layers of stencils needed for a pattern like that.

Looks fine, as long as the prep was done correctly it'll be as durable as can be.

They look damn good man. I like the distressed glock slide looks good. Is that second ar burnt bronze?

They look damn good man. I like the distressed glock slide looks good. Is that second ar burnt bronze?

Yes it is burnt bronze I see they have a midnight bronze I’m going to order it and try that also. Thanx for the feedback

Those look great! I think the 'urban camo' pattern would be improved by making the pattern larger. Love the flag in it. How much experience do you have with Cerakote? What are you using for application? I have a couple 'paint' jobs coming up and have been considering trying Cerakote myself. I have a 1911 that was cerakoted by a local shop and I'm very pleased with the resistance to wear.

GsT

I have done about 30 guns so far
I blast with 100 grit garnet and I have figured out that 12 to 1 ratio looks best to me I like a little gloss if you go 14 or 16. To 1 they are dry looking. I bought the paint gun from cerakote and built the oven. Overall cerakote is pretty simple to apply and turns out nice.

cbdafd61247ad1063a4003bf1a203ac4.jpg

I have done about 30 guns so far
I blast with 100 grit garnet and I have figured out that 12 to 1 ratio looks best to me I like a little gloss if you go 14 or 16. To 1 they are dry looking. I bought the paint gun from cerakote and built the oven. Overall cerakote is pretty simple to apply and turns out nice.

Thanks for the input. I'll have to give it a go.

GsT

I've another question about cerakoting an AR lower, were you concerned with getting the cerakote into areas that aren't real accessible like the magazine/bolt catch areas and the long small diameter holes for the spring detents? I assume anodizing would get these areas and protect the aluminum from oxidation but is that something to even be concerned with? How about the cerakote getting into those places and causing blockages?

Probably ignorant questions but I've been considering using cerakote in a couple of builds and haven't found any information on this.

Thanks,

-Ron

It won’t cause blockage because it is very thin it doesn’t take much to coat everything. I just try to get it all coated I haven’t had any problems with oxidation the stuff I’m coating is 7075 aluminum they were bare when I got them over a year ago and no corrosion at all on them

It won’t cause blockage because it is very thin it doesn’t take much to coat everything. I just try to get it all coated I haven’t had any problems with oxidation the stuff I’m coating is 7075 aluminum they were bare when I got them over a year ago and no corrosion at all on them

Thanks, that gives me a bit more impetus to carry on with my original plan. (I tend to over-engineer/over-think things at times.)

-Ron

Honestly it is pretty forgiving you pretty much have to try to make it run. The most important thing is the ratio of the hardener it is by weight not volume and 12 to 1 gives a nice finish. bake 225 degrees for 2 hours works nice it is easier then painting.

I am a former applicator of Cerakote and although it looks pretty..... its junk. All the spray on coatings are crap. They all chip, scratch and wear. Cheaper to use a $3 can of spray paint and touch up as needed. Stick with anodizing, bluing, Nitrite coatings. Colors are limited but holds up better. Just sayin......

Back