What's new
What's new

Chambering 22LR

bob

Titanium
Not a gun guy so might be a dumb question but can a 22LR be chambered for 22 Hornet? I know hornet is center fire so bolt would have to be remade, probably not practical.
Bob

Bore of .22 LR is .222"; modern bore of Hornet is .224". And .22 LR barrels are usually made of weaker steel than centerfire barrels. Not recommended.

Yes certainly......but forget your bolt gun,unless its a military trainer like the 22MkIV SMLE conversion......Anyhoo,my modus is to find a Martini #12 or 12/15 ,restore the block to centre fire (easy ,just raise the horns of the lever),bush the F/P hole ,unless its already small,rechamber the barrel,and match up the extractor.......as to the caliber .....22rf is a 16" twist,and the only viable bullet is the 45 gn Hornet bullet.......Here,any Lithgow 22 b/a barrel will be ordnance barrel steel,and can be used in a Hornet......Buy a small Martini,fit Lithgow/Slazenger barrel ,rechamber ,you have a under $100 Hornet.

Can I convert my '07 Toyota into a limousine?
Yes, but it isn't practical.
No harm in asking though.
The question is do you want the final product, or do you want a learning experience?
Either way there are better choices.

Bob, it entirely depends upon which .22 rimfire it is.

As was mentioned above, a small frame Martini is a very good candidate.

Another very common conversion, is the Remington rifles which were supplied in 5mm rimfire, IIRC they were the 580, and 590 series models. The actions on those used rear locking lugs, and were hells for strong. They do require that the front end of the bolt be rebuilt, and that the action be threaded to fit a threaded barrel.

Something like a Harrington and Richardson break action single shot (like an old Cooey single shot shotgun) would likely just need a reamer ran in to it, and the firing pin shifted.

I have a Hornet reamer, it's pilot fits down several of the various 22 cal barrels that I have. So, there seems from a practical perspective, a reasonable variation in the delivered specifications of rimfire barrels, despite what the 'standard' says.

It was very common, in the early days of the Hornet, to convert rifles using barrels taken off rimfire guns.
As another point of reference, CZ, uses a .223 size bore on their guns, rather than the standard .224 used over here, and there are few if any complaints from their owners, shooting .224 size bullets.

It's as bad as the English Language, in that the answer is 'No', except for a long list of exceptions...

Actually the hornet was originally designed for 22lr barrels bullets were originally 223.
So the answer is it depends on what you wish to shoot.

Paul'sTurk 223.jpg

I found a 16" twist Douglas barrel meant for a 22LR and gave it to my brother.
I loaned him my 0.250" neck 223 reamer.
He converted a 1903 Turkish Mauser to 223.
It stabilizes 50 grain and less bullets.
20 years later he is still shooting prairie dogs with it. It is his favorite 223.

Back