What's new
What's new

Coax/joystick rest, how does that work?

SND

Diamond
Never had the chance to see one in person and I'm really curious about the inner working of the coax rests.
Been wanting to make myself a proper rest for some time and I'm now thinking this style might be something I'd like to try instead of basic elevation and windage screw adjustment.

So I'm wondering, with the coax rests when you let go of the handle does it still support the rifle in position or does it go back to low position?
Cause I've thought about a few basic ways to do it on a cam or something but I get the feeling it wouldn't be quite self locking in position and so I'm really puzzled as to how its done, or if they do self lock ?

This is the one I mfg. and sell. www.shadetreeea.com It will hold a 25# rifle without holding the stick. If your time is worth anything at all I wouldn't make one, I would buy one.
You might buy a video game controller that has a joystick and copy it in metal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see it mainly as a project for when time will allow and maybe I'll learn a few things in the process.

Spherical plain bearings with a sliding plate seems about as easy as its gonna get, another design had the pivot outboard which made for a lot more MOA adjustment, but it appears to be chinese made. I'll likely do a mix or 2-3 designs when I get the time. Was way over thinking it with the cam thing.

Butch, would you have a design opinion between using the teflon sheet as the sliding plate with the slots for vertical/horizontal alignment(not the one attached to the bag top plate), vs the ones that are made in metal with only a thin sheet of teflon on both sides? I made mine with the sliding plate being the bearing material itself to reduce the number of parts, seems to work well. I only worry a bit about if it took a hard hit, but then in both designs since the alignment screws are soft tipped, seems its a weak spot anyway eh?

I've got another way around that, but its more work, kinda trying to keep it simple and solid at the same time. Also thinking of trying Nylon GSM instead of teflon, but I've rarely seen it flat enough.

Any thoughts on that?

thanks

Butch, would you have a design opinion between using the teflon sheet as the sliding plate with the slots for vertical/horizontal alignment(not the one attached to the bag top plate), vs the ones that are made in metal with only a thin sheet of teflon on both sides? I made mine with the sliding plate being the bearing material itself to reduce the number of parts, seems to work well. I only worry a bit about if it took a hard hit, but then in both designs since the alignment screws are soft tipped, seems its a weak spot anyway eh?

I've got another way around that, but its more work, kinda trying to keep it simple and solid at the same time. Also thinking of trying Nylon GSM instead of teflon, but I've rarely seen it flat enough.

Any thoughts on that?

thanks

I'm kinda dumb. I really don't understand what you are saying. Draw a picture or a photo would help. If you had rather do it by email. Our email address is on our website. The only hard hit I would worry about on ours is if it fell out of the truck while you were driving down the road.

I'm kinda dumb.

Nah.. I'm pretty sure I just claimed myself that title. When you mentioned dropping it off the truck, I realized that I was looking at it all wrong and the sliding plate I'm talking about takes no impact whatever material its made from. All is good :) thanks.

I can not visualize how to translate joystick movement to raise and lower the head having it be smooth and still stay in place when pressure on the joystick is removed. Why would it not come crashing down?

Obviously I have never seen even a diagram of such a thing.

I used a mix of 2 springs under the sliding block and also a counter weight since one rifle is 21lbs, while another its only 7 for which I don't use the counter weight, and gotta have things just tight enough but so it also still moves.

It was a fun project, but overall I find I prefer to steer from the rear and that I'm more accurate shooting that way so I'll probably be making myself a solid/basic tripod for next year with only elevation on it.

Just wondering how you went? I'm planning and designing my own rest atm.fun side project. Seems in having same planning problems you had at the start.

a couple years ago i shot a friends 6BR at 200 yds. he had a farley front rest with a joy stick. (i think it was a farley). i was amazed at the very tiny movement i could get using the joy stick. wasn't long before i came across a aftermarket joystick conversion for my wichita front rest. bought it. 2 friends saw it before i got a chance to ues it and each ordered one. it was well made but it really sucked as far as fine adjustment. both friends agree. i can do better squeezing the bags. it ain't a farley!!

A photo of our early model.
Products >> Shadetree Engineering & Accuracy
Changes have been incorporated internally and a longer joystick. It has 22MOA of vertical and 22MOA horizontal movement. It will easily hold a 22lb rifle as shipped. Been making them 17 years and have delivered about 1700+ units around the World.

Butch, I have one of yours and it's a simple design that works well at a good price point.

Back