What's new
What's new

Cold blueing a Brno rimfire rifle

Andy65

Plastic
Hi..how can i cold blue a brno rimfire rifle with using balistol blue ..ill have to remove the old bad blueing,should i use vinegar for that

I never tried to remove any bluing on just a spot. Vinegar could work, try a spot that is not normally visible, if it does work be sure to clean it soon or it will promote rusting. If I were needing to remove just a small spot of blue, I might try solder flux as it is supposed to remove metal oxides. Some are not real corrosive would should make it easy to control, again try it on a spot not normally seen.

Back in the day I would plug the barrel with corks then wash with Ajax powder cleaner...yes a clean wet rag and scrub briskly..to rinse dip in clean water tub 3 or 4 times with a clean wash rag.. dry with a clean dry towel and then with not touching with hands could blue the gun..
Not recommending till you try it on an old gun...

Mostly sporterising and restoring 98s and Gewehrs.

Did the OP edit his original post? I thought he was only needing to remove the bluing in a spot. Reading again it looks like he is needing to do the whole gun.

The Evapo Rust is a commercial phosphoric acid product usually used to convert rust prior to painting? If this is a good solution, Evapo Rust will probably not be sold in India so he will need to find a similar product.

Did the OP edit his original post? I thought he was only needing to remove the bluing in a spot. Reading again it looks like he is needing to do the whole gun.

The Evapo Rust is a commercial phosphoric acid product usually used to convert rust prior to painting? If this is a good solution, Evapo Rust will probably not be sold in India so he will need to find a similar product.

Evapo-rust is not a "phosphoric acid product" it works through "selective chelation", has a neutral pH, and is non-caustic. Evapo-Rust EVAPO-RUST(R) Super Safe Rust Remover Info - Evapo-Rust

I have used it extensively as it's very safe and user friendly, though removing bluing was not my intention at the time. In hindsight I should have seen it coming as "bluing" is basically a form of rust and the Evapo-rust saw no difference between it and the rust I wanted to remove. :o

(I'm not affiliated in any way with the makers or sellers of Evapo-rust or any other rust removing products, just a fan.)

FWIW - Ron

Hi guys , when saying cold bluing never works I hope you mean the stuff that comes in bottles and the job is finished in about 10 minutes but if you include cold bluing that was
once used by a lot of gun gunsmiths using acid and iron / nails then you have not seen a real blue job stays on ,looks good and lasts for ever .. Rob

Hi guys , when saying cold bluing never works I hope you mean the stuff that comes in bottles and the job is finished in about 10 minutes but if you include cold bluing that was
once used by a lot of gun gunsmiths using acid and iron / nails then you have not seen a real blue job stays on ,looks good and lasts for ever .. Rob

Rust bluing is a whole different animal than cold bluing.

Agreed that the little bottles of DIY touch-up cold bluing are worse than worthless. But there is one cold blue product that can really work well: Brownell's Oxpho-Blue. 30+ years ago I picked up a badly neglected Winchester 97 shotgun that had zero original finish left, but was mechanically sound, and actually not at all worn or damaged. After I stripped it down into individual parts and cleaned it thoroughly I used the Oxpho-Blue, following the instructions, and applying in multiple passes, burnishing with 0000 steel wool between repeated applications of the Oxpho, until it reached maximum darkness and even coloration across each part of the '97. It came out looking remarkably respectable, bordering on attractive, in a utilitarian sense, considering the condition that it started in. And that shotgun has, ever since, always been my foul weather grab-n-go, been carried a lot, and seen some rough and tumble, and there has been zero wear or deterioration in the bluing.

Back