What's new
What's new

Colorado School of Trades Curriculum

DereuMFG

Plastic
Hi!
Way back when, I enrolled and graduated from this fine school. Tho I never did take up the trade of gunsmithing, I did learn tons about machining, which took me into manufacturing. ANYWAY, I have lots of handouts and notes that are still kicking around, and was wondering if anybody could use them. Lots of stuff on blueing, D&F, chambering, loads, a whole bunch of drawings for special tools, etc. etc. etc. All in all, it is about an inch thick (give or take a couple thousanths) in a 3 ring binder. Just let me know, cause there is alot of good info here just sitting around, and I'll gladly send it to someone who can use it. Also, I would love to hear from anyone else that attended this school. I was there in 84 and 85, by the way.
Brian

I'd be interested in getting that information. I worked as a gunsmith for a while, but no longer. I do however keep a good library on the subject. Do you want anything in return?

If anyone is interested in attending a school for Gunsmithing, Montgomery Community College, in Troy NC is a very good school. It does not have the history of the Colorado school but it is a lot closer to the east coasters.

Sorry but I don't think anyone would really like to try and decipher my notes.

I hadn't planned on copying and distributing these notes, just sending them to someone. I am sending them off to a gentleman in California, who assured me that he would copy them and send them on to the next on this board. Hopefully, it can continue in this fashion.

yes i would like a copy of those drawings. please advise as to the copying and mailing charge. does anybody know where i can get a set of engineering drawings for a 98 mauser. mainly for the trigger guard and bolt body. any help would be appreciated. bill weis [email protected] thanks

I could try. It would require me getting a scanner, which I do not have at home. But, I have another project that I was thinking about doing this with.

I certainly would not object to making CD's for interest parties, provided I can scan the materials correctly.

Hey, I went to CST in 1985/86. I was there with Big Larry and Sherman the German. Do you have red hair and like to go skiing? I went skiing at Breckenridge with a guy from Maine and some of his roommates. Send me your e-mail address if you can.

DereuMFG,
How did you like the school? I am thinking about going there too. And do you know how old you have to be to attend the school? THANKS

smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Hey! (edited 11-07-2002).]

Hey to Hey!

I thought the school was top notch, teaching all basics on smithing, from stockmaking to tempering a spring. Im not sure about the age requirements, but there were some in their teens when I attended. If you have any more questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

You might want to re-think going to the Colorado School of Trades. I graduated in 1991, and most of the instructors have since quit. The folks teaching there now are mostly former students who have little if any experience. I live in the area, and like to keep up on the school, but I honestly think you should keep looking and go somewhere else if you want to be a gunsmith. Jim.

to ten thumbs,if you can't copy those pages yourself you might try one of your local copy centers and see what they would charge you to put them on a cd. i am sure anybody wanting the information would be happy to pay for a copy. at least i would. just an idea.

Well, I now have a scanner, but I don't know who got the material. Perhaps the original poster could help those of use who got interested in this?

Directly after I made the first post, I received an email from someone who wanted the info....and as I had said, he did promise to copy the stuff and send it down the line. I will email him again this evening.
Brian

I went through this with a manual for a milling machine. Scanning and copying is a pain in the tail. However it does work. Whoever does it will have to have a really good scanner, since the lower quality ones won't reproduce the image well enough to be able to see the details.
My biggest problem was getting the information that I scanned to stay at "page size". When I scanned it, and then viewed it, one page would print out to be about 16 pages. Finally found a program that would put it back to the correct size.
Never did figure out what caused it, just fixed it.
I would also like a copy, and would be willing to put it to cd if somebody else doesn't do it first.
Since I am not going to furnish the whole world with a copy, I would want to limit my libility under that statement as not to include shipping to the next person, and a maximun of 25 copies.
I do the work, you pay the shipping costs if you want a copy.
Sounds fair, what do you think? After 25 copies have been made, surely somebody can make some more copies. David from Jax

Back