What's new
What's new

Colorado school of trades reviews?

blackdoggy

Aluminum
:mad:Ok time for me to get this off of my chest, CST SUCKS they are over priced and have very poor local job placement assistance and flexibility of classes while your there. When I was there years ago several of the people I know there were leaving for either wyo tech or just out right quit. Most of the people I met (not all but most) were drunks not to mention the school it's self was out right unsafe. I ended up homeless primarily due to them, I was not told where to look for work locally not to mention the fact that I got in trouble frequently when I got there late after going for job interviews and there schedule was not flexible enough to pay for rent. If you insist on going up there make sure your life insurance is paid up and you can prepay the rent and food for the year that your there.

What has every one else experienced while up there??

Sorry you had such a negative experience. I thoroughly enjoyed my time at CST. It was a tremendous learning experience and met some good folks while I was there. Admittedly, I live here in the Denver area so that helped quite a bit - no re-location, already had a residence, etc. I'm with you on the job placement aspect but I took it upon myself to find employment and didn't rely on them in that regard. One of the main things that attracted me was the fact that you didn't get bogged down with taking other classes like you have to if you attend Trinidad, Lassen, Yavapai, etc. At CST it's straight-forward, all the way through and that really shortens the program, which is a good thing.

When where you there and what are you doing now?

Have a pal who went there from Canada. Not a close friend, but I gather he got what he wanted out of it and is doing what he wants as a result. More a mature student type, and a guy who can figure stuff out for himself. As regards which I was surprised he went to a school at all.

fwiw,
I think the student generally gets out of the program what he puts in. I had a few issues there, however, they covered the majority of things I wanted learn. Kind of like a liberal arts degree in that they might not show you, however, they give you a basis to find and understand the answer to the question...

I'd been to an Ivy League University a couple of years beforehand and CST was a definite departure. Might even say polar opposites...(grin)

Darcy Echols recommended it to me, he attended and taught there in the 80s, and hence I went. It is expensive, however, I'm fairly happy with what I learned there.

That said I was never late unless I was too ill to attend and did not goof off. Afterall I was paying to be there... One thing I noticed is that older students tend to do better than kids out of High School. Their mind is rarely in the right frame to suceed...

I graduated with an A average early last year...

fwiw & imho

Matt Garrett

attended in the late 70's

It was not cheap then. However, I attended right out of high school and it required some self discipline and direction but I would rate it about an 8 out of a possible 10. Most of the instructors were first rate; Dean Wentworth, Ben Spahn, Corky Maeder, and others .

They were great. The only fly in the ointment was the A-hole who ran the counter where retail customers dropped off guns.

I was goign to transfer to Trinidad but had to wait a year and would have been done so I stuck to CST. I thought it had a good general gunsithing program. AT that time you learned hwo to use a file. And I mean use a file. I dont know if they still do that anymore.

The techniques today for custom work and CNC is light years ahead of then.
Just my .02.

Back