What's new
What's new

Removing engraved metal

Wreckingball

Plastic
So guys need help here ,
I just bought a shotgun with some beautiful engraved parts but the original owner, Decided to do a shit job and put his name on it ..... need some help on how to remove it or hide it??

Thanks chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I fixed your post so the second image would show. Is that an aluminum receiver? If steel, you could cold blue it and it would be less obvious. Aluminum would require re-anodizing.

It's something of a problem to get rid of completely. A new receiver is the best way.

Like GG mentioned, it's probably impossible to get rid of, but you do have a couple of options.

First you'd want to stone or sand down any high spots and get it perfectly flat. You could cold blue it at that point and it should be alot less visible. Durafill or Armafill might work in black or another dark shade to hide it, but personally I've never sprayed that thick so you might want to email them and ask.

The other option is what I call the Tattoo Nightmares fix. You can't make it go away, but you might be able to hide it inside something bigger but more attractive. I made a 4" long stylized Remington template to cover someone's drivers license number. 60 grit glass bead and 3 coats of KG flat black and it's almost invisible.

At worst cover it over with the stupid new sticker all our guns need to wear as of Jan. 1.

So guys need help here ,
I just bought a shotgun with some beautiful engraved parts but the original owner, Decided to do a shit job and put his name on it ..... need some help on how to remove it or hide it??

Thanks chris
Cheapest and fastest is to legally change your given name from "Chris" to "Raymond" and be glad he didn't put his surname or entire family lineage on it.

Usta be only about ten bucks in Court fees.

Notifying everyone is enough of a PITA I'd ha' just bought some other shotgun.

OK.... Seriously. Either JF live with it... shouldn't affect the functionality. WTH my one has the name of some guy named "Remington" on it. Who TF would name a kid "Remington" anyway? Come to think of it, every damned firearm I own has somebody else's name on it.

Go figure.

Or go buy a new receiver...

You could get a engraver to make a pattern up to hide it, most likely it would have to go a bit deeper than the name scrawled in to do so. The cost of a professional engraver to hide would need to be balanced by the cost to replace it with a new part and how it would look to you or the next owner.

Once metal is removed like that its hard if not impossible to replace it.

Once metal is removed like that its hard if not impossible to replace it ^^^ without adverse effects on the overall component ^^^.

...as-in.. TiG it into a raised blister, mill or grind it flat and to match the rest of the surface then refinish, all-over?

Might look as-new. For a museum display case.

But there is a near-as-dammit certainty you've ruint the receiver, strength and predictability -wise for its functional purpose.

Shooting.

I had pretty good success removing the SSN of a previous owner by stoning flat, then buffing . Buffing is a bit of a skill, but an easily acquired one and you need to blend the buffed area into the surrounding area. Then, of course, refinish. It's now invisible to casual observation, but can still be somewhat seen in oblique light.

GsT

Send off for laser tig fill, stone down then send off for reblue.

Use this shop:

Micro Arc Welding | Micro Laser Welding, Micro Tig Welding

Reasonable cost, fast and firearms knowledgeable.
Send them that last photo and ask them what your options are- they will give you the straight dope.

The whole cost will not be that high and you will not be living with a shotgun you are not satisfied with.
Next time- buy the one without the electric pencil work...

Google isn't helping me on that one. Where should I look? Or izzat just a Canadian thing?

Just a Quebec thing. The rest of the country kind of learned their lesson with mandatory rifle/shotgun registration but we're gluttons for punishment here. We almost never miss an opportunity to screw something up twice when only once should suffice.

Just a Quebec thing. The rest of the country kind of learned their lesson with mandatory rifle/shotgun registration but we're gluttons for punishment here. We almost never miss an opportunity to screw something up twice when only once should suffice.

Should we guess that "TGIF" just doesn't work for pepsis, so footwear carries a mandatory "orteil en premier" label?

:D

Send off for laser tig fill, stone down then send off for reblue.

Use this shop:

Micro Arc Welding | Micro Laser Welding, Micro Tig Welding

Reasonable cost, fast and firearms knowledgeable.
Send them that last photo and ask them what your options are- they will give you the straight dope.

The whole cost will not be that high and you will not be living with a shotgun you are not satisfied with.
Next time- buy the one without the electric pencil work...
I'd call these guys and see what they say. Looks like you have something mass produced so it's not worth spending a whole bunch of money to fix it. Compare the cost of the repair to what kind of deal you could make selling this and getting another one.

About the cheapest thing you could try is stone it yourself, have it bead blasted if you don't have a way to do it and refinish yourself with some bake on finish. But it won't look the same if that's where you're trying to get.

I'd call these guys and see what they say. Looks like you have something mass produced so it's not worth spending a whole bunch of money to fix it. Compare the cost of the repair to what kind of deal you could make selling this and getting another one.

About the cheapest thing you could try is stone it yourself, have it bead blasted if you don't have a way to do it and refinish yourself with some bake on finish. But it won't look the same if that's where you're trying to get.
I have to agree that it's not a high-dollar firearm. Either fill it in and stone it, then bake-on finish (cerakote, gunkote, etc) or heavy bead-blast until it is well-obscured then bake-on finish.

You have been given nothing but bad advice here. Anything of the above suggestions will look worse than what you currently have it needs to be refinished properly by a good gunsmith that can hot blue to match the original finish. The engraving looks shallow enough to file/polish out and not affect the original engraving too much. I would charge about 150-200 to fix it. Personally I'd live with it kinda gives it character if it isn't worth spending much to fix why then does it matter if it has a name engraved on it.

You have been given nothing but bad advice here. Anything of the above suggestions will look worse than what you currently have it needs to be refinished properly by a good gunsmith that can hot blue to match the original finish. The engraving looks shallow enough to file/polish out and not affect the original engraving too much. I would charge about 150-200 to fix it.

A new receiver is the best way.

And/or "just live with it", are as sound as advice can get on this puppy. New receiver also does a lot more for yah that "just" remove the PO's name.

Given "nothing but bad advice?"

Maybe now we are?

Does that "150-200" cover a new receiver after you FILE (??) polish out (bare?), then "hot blue" what surely looks to be anodized aluminium?

:)

Hard to say from just the information and photos provided but this looks like some kind of mass produced semiauto shotgun, something like a Remington 1100. Unless it's a lightweight model the receiver is steel.

You could check with Remington (or Winchester or Beretta or whoever it is) but I would guess you have about zero chance of buying a new receiver direct from the factory. I found a couple used ones on GB:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/736001253
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/737513617

But used stuff will have it's own set of problems and you'll have to get it into Canada somehow.

Draw filing/flat stoning electro pencil marks usually requires removing a lot of material to eliminate them completely. Where the pencil hesitates starting/stopping/reversing direction, etc the marks can get pretty deep. The engraving on the side shown will get pretty light compared to the other side.

$150-200 and whatever he can get for this shotgun might be enough to get another one. If I was selling it I would at least color the bottoms of the lettering.

Last edited:

Back