What's new
What's new

Compensator...

Smokem

Plastic
I am going to make my own compensator. I was thinking of using 6061T6 aluminum? How much larger should the I.D. of the compensator be than the dia. of the bullet? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

The compensator I am going to make is for my 1911 it replaces the barrel bushing, no threads. Will Aluminum be ok to use?

A better idea is to thread the barrel, make the back of the barrel a long taper so you can eliminate the bushing. I think you can buy a comp that replaces the bushing for about $15. The hole inside has to be real big an that style to allow for the barrel tilting when the slide moves rearward> Work the action and watch it. Those type do not work very well for that reason,if they did everyone would use them and save plenty money!!

I have made several comps. for 1911's and Ruger .22 cals. For the 45 I bought a blank from

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/home/default.aspx

that comes threaded and tapered and you machine the vents and exit holes in whatever manner you wish. I made the exit holes .020" over bullet dia. and they function quite well.

Compensators_003.jpg

Compensators_002.jpg

Compensators_001.jpg

Compensators_007.jpg

Compensators_006.jpg

Compensators_004.jpg

No aluminum, 4140 or equivilant.

Paul G

[This message has been edited by Paul_Gauthier (edited 02-25-2004).]

I want to experiment with a compensator for a 454 Casull. I'm not sure about threading the barrel though. I was looking at what is on the 500 S&W.

Back