What's new
What's new

Completely new, need to know what tools needed

ToothlessHick

Plastic
Im not a "gun guy" as far as shooting goes.

However I have found lately i have a enjoyment in building things.

I'm wondering that tools would be needed to make a simple gun.

Not too primitive, any moron could make a match hand cannon.

Im thinking more like a over under .38 derringer and maybe if i stick with the hobby long term I might make a primitives revolver.

What tools will i need?

I would be possible to build that with a drill and some files. Not easy but possible. And cheap. Once you get into machine tools, the expense goes up quickly. And the capability.

For starters, I would suggest going with the files (new, sharp files cut quite quickly.) It would build your skill set and give you a firm foundation.

Think about 18th century rural USA and gents making long rifles. There were no "tool stores" around the corner. Where do you suppose those tools came from? They were made as needed - including files. They had their sharp minds and they had their skillful hands

there is a great movie that i remember seeing in jr. high called the gunsmith of willamsburg today it would more then likely be i first class felony to show it at any so called public school but hey they can show all the wok trash they want

Depends what you're trying to do, but at the minimum you want a drill press and some quality hand tools.

Watch some of Mark Serbu's videos and look up stuff on defense distributed.

there is a great movie that i remember seeing in jr. high called the gunsmith of willamsburg today it would more then likely be i first class felony to show it at any so called public school but hey they can show all the wok trash they want
It is a great movie, think it's available on YouTube

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Even so ,the aim to make a Remington double derringer is kinda far out,IMHO...I would not attempt to make one with a shopfull of machines......Unless someone paid me hourly rate!.....All the replicas on the market are investment cast,not cut from solid......and the originals would have been made from forgings made very nearly to size ,and needing a bare minimum of machine time.

A decent lathe really is the KING of machine tools.
With the proper tooling it can do almost anything.
Be prepared to spend a few k on it and tools.
After that it's just time on the machine to build your experience im guessing in a couple years of casual use you could make a decent weapon.

How are your design and drafting skills?

IMHO running the machine is easy compared to designing and drafting a working weapon!

Paul's 10th grade shop class project returned after 36 years 8-24-2011.jpg

My brother made a gun from non gun parts as a 10th grade shop project in the 1970s. The springs were from auto brakes.

Paul shooting muzzle loader 1972.jpg
It made a lot of smoke with black powder.

Im not a "gun guy" as far as shooting goes.

However I have found lately i have a enjoyment in building things.

I'm wondering that tools would be needed to make a simple gun.

Not too primitive, any moron could make a match hand cannon.

Im thinking more like a over under .38 derringer and maybe if i stick with the hobby long term I might make a primitives revolver.

What tools will i need?

The thing between your ears for starters....

An important tool for me has always been the Brownell's catalog.
I was going to suggest a used copy from ebay, but I see that they may cost more than ordering a new one.
On the left side of their page is a description of the catalog. Underneath it is a link to the free electronic version.
A lot of those tools you can make yourself.

BROWNELLS BROWNELLS(R) CATALOG | Brownells

I didn't make this myself, but I just had to have it for the collection.

duo.jpg

Bring tons of money and pay me a visit. Lots of stuff will be for sale in the future, I am 74 and it is time to liquidate. It ain't cheap!!!!!

The knowledge ain't cheap either!!!!!

First thing you need to do is take a machine shop course, if those things still exist. Maybe a gunsmithing school such as Trinidad.

Just a sample:

iT1Ctb1.jpg

61fyd47.jpg

5uNj91l.jpg

wRCIJhD.jpg

IkDlknu.jpg

caB8RR8.jpg

ZoSMMXI.jpg

rMRKlC6.jpg

yRnKHXD.jpg

mRfwDst.jpg

EV0HSEt.jpg

nice horizontal - from CT obviously but the mfr. is obscured by the dial gage mount. Who made that? Also nice trick using a live center in the overarm support.

"Wok trash" what is that, some kind of cooking video?

Bring tons of money and pay me a visit. Lots of stuff will be for sale in the future, I am 74 and it is time to liquidate. It ain't cheap!!!!!

The knowledge ain't cheap either!!!!!

First thing you need to do is take a machine shop course, if those things still exist. Maybe a gunsmithing school such as Trinidad.

I think the man was asking for a little help.
So glad you could use the opportunity to show off.
Not constructive.

Back