What's new
What's new

Correspondence schools

Years ago, a friend did one of these courses; I saw the materials. There was nothing wrong with the course such as it was. It was pretty basic, which is ok if that's what you need. I already had all the books, which I'd picked up over the years. There was nothing new or different in the content. I think that a person could do just as well on their own. After finishing the course, my friend still brought any complicated work to me. A decent library, and hands on experience and practice are important. Dick

I'd been working as a gunsmith for about 10 years when someone showed me a set of the American Gunsmithing Institute videos. By then I'd meet Bob Dunlap and knew I could learn from him. Those videos are a great resource. I own a set just like any other thing I can get my hands on that would help in the shop, and I'm not the only gunsmith I know with a set. When it comes to guns you don't see every day they are worth their weight in gold. Nothing I've seen from any other "correspondence" course comes close, and I believe the long term value exceeds that of the classes taught in the few actual colleges.

I've bought some of their other tapes also; and in some cases I learned the jobs differently, but I always learn something from their presentation.

Back