What's new
What's new

Crowning Tool/Cutter

Don1981

Plastic
Hi guys , looking for ideas/photos on the best shape for a crowning tool ...Going to grind my own crowning tool from HSS ...Thanks in advance .

I would look for a crown on a firearm that you like and match it to a radius gauge. If you do not have access to a surface grinder and radius dressing tool, I would hand grind it as close as possible to the radius chosen then use a brass or copper lap to make it closer yet.

I like a slightly dished 11° crown. I do them all the same with a miniature boring bar: 5/8 diameter dish 0.030 deep and then 11°to the bore.

ACtC-3eQLUIyaA76MmkoMekHVmZy5_qKtPw72Z5XAMZilV2_TaogsRfQcJAKrMzghnbUWsa1MQ9g5-Xqv-Vgvm7McC1jg08Dk_-vcqYj3o0_N4SVLXa-CXSBIZdnqorYUS_SJqkF145uXEb71aCGNrgQrPHbZA=w1100-h825-no

ACtC-3c_EJI2i8rNpd5ZdCWn1I9J59bY6tETEPrXQx3CMqtcU4aEZgWBu768qcSjWJ8ulNKLv9g8j4uenueinxoXsycFlEHu6SqMu63VHJeqWDSBKxdBOdpFf-2ZnhuAIyLe73c_gRPbNJv6ZLJUhmtzEXViHw=w963-h737-no

Well now we wait for the OP to let us know if he was wanting a tool to form a decorative "classic" crown on the outside or a target crown that is today's best guess on accuracy. Probably we both guessed wrong and it is choice #3, none of the above.

Just in case the OP was wanting an OD decorative crowning tool. I found the one I used on muzzle breaks before cutting them off. This is the reason the tool faces the wrong way, on chucked barrels it would be done with a reverse grind. The top of the radius has been lapped below the grinding marks show. The radius is close to 13/64 inch. It was applied to 11/16 and 3/4 bar stock mostly, a smaller barrel might look better with a smaller radius.CrowningTtool.jpg

Last edited:
I use a small boring bar I've ground from HSS. You get a sharper edge on the crown from HSS than carbide. My tool gets a little beat up looking because i sharpen it fresh for every crown I cut.

I do a recessed 90 degree crown, .030 deep. It has a .025 flat on each side of the crown and I pull out at the same angle I use for threading. Fits on the end of 1/2-28 threads. If you want a bigger dish for the end of a bigger barrel, i just go a bit deeper on the recess. Want a more traditional appearance? Pull out at 11 degrees and radius the outside edge with a file.

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO

Hi guys ..thanks for the reply . Purchased pt&g crowning tool ...haven't used it yet .Been using a tool I ground years ago ...sharpen it before each use with good results .. Unfortunately, damaged it lately and was looking for fresh ideas to either buy a small boring tool or start again and grind another crowning tool form HSS ...Photos help for any home ground tool ....
Regards ,Don.

Back