Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Denver barrel threading

Ive been researching what lathe to look at to perform my own gunsmithing, but came across a thread on here about cost of having a barrel threaded. I have 5 rifles Id like to add muzzle brakes to but after finding that thread, its obvious that Id never make the ROI work for my personal use unless I took outside work.

So on that note, Id rather give my business to a PM member. Anyone in the Denver area that is as OCD as me to get the job done right?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I threaded my barrels on a 14x30 lathe. I used a brass muzzle protector supported by a live center. Grizzly sells the muzzle protectors but you can make your own. I left the receiver on the barrel. I put a steel bar where the bolt would be. I held the receiver in the 4 jaw and indicated on the barrel just ahead of the receiver ring to get it running true. Then I machined the threads. The only real requirement for the lathe was the bed needed to be long enough to hold the barrel and receiver.

The lathes sold as gunsmith lathes have a big enough spindle hole to let the barrel pass through and a short enough headstock to let barrel stick out the back so it can be centered in a spider.

A lot of barrels have been threaded and chambered with the muzzle end held in a chuck and the breech end supported by a steady rest. In other words you do not need a special lathe for gunsmithing. You just need a bed long enough to accomodate your work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the OP is asking for a Practical Machinist member in Colorado to do the work for him. Given the trouble of buying a lathe and building the attachments to do barrel work and learning the skills, I think that is a wise move.
    If I am right in my understanding of the post, give him a hand. Driving a couple hundred miles to bring the work to you has to be a lot easier than buying a lathe, picking it up, finding space, wiring it, building cats heads, and the doing the learning curve.
    Even if he did all these things and did the work skillfully, jumping all the hoops to legally do the work for someone else to use his new found skills would be another mountain to climb.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OP shouldn't have to drive that far, lots of excellent 'smiths on the front range.

T,find the bench rest crowd and ask them for a recommendation if you are looking for some truly OCD work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've threaded barrels without a lathe before, slower and more work but comes out fine. If you are only doing five and have no need for a lathe beyond that, have someone else do them. Barrels are easy and relatively inexpensive to ship if you can't find local.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TruckinT View Post
    I’ve been researching what lathe to look at to perform my own gunsmithing, but came across a thread on here about cost of having a barrel threaded. I have 5 rifles I’d like to add muzzle brakes to but after finding that thread, it’s obvious that I’d never make the ROI work for my personal use unless I took outside work.

So on that note, I’d rather give my business to a PM member. Anyone in the Denver area that is as OCD as me to get the job done right?

Go to 24hourcampfire, hit the gunsmithing area, ask for gunsmiths in CO.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by FredC View Post
    I think the OP is asking for a Practical Machinist member in Colorado to do the work for him. Given the trouble of buying a lathe and building the attachments to do barrel work and learning the skills, I think that is a wise move.
    If I am right in my understanding of the post, give him a hand. Driving a couple hundred miles to bring the work to you has to be a lot easier than buying a lathe, picking it up, finding space, wiring it, building cats heads, and the doing the learning curve.
    Even if he did all these things and did the work skillfully, jumping all the hoops to legally do the work for someone else to use his new found skills would be another mountain to climb.
    Exactly what I'm looking for. I'd have some use for it outside of gunsmithing, but not enough to justify the purchase, learning curve, etc. like you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by cyanidekid View Post
    OP shouldn't have to drive that far, lots of excellent 'smiths on the front range.

T,find the bench rest crowd and ask them for a recommendation if you are looking for some truly OCD work.
    Great idea, maybe I can find a long range competition or something and pick their brains.

Quote Originally Posted by SilveradoHauler View Post
    Go to 24hourcampfire, hit the gunsmithing area, ask for gunsmiths in CO.
    Thanks for the insight, I'll head there and see what pops up.

Thank you all for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dan Dowling is somewhere Denver and is very good.
    GraTan is in eastern Colo., also very good.

9. Likes TruckinT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What type of rifles?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 300sniper View Post
    What type of rifles?
    2 AR’s
    2 300 Weatherbys
    1 6.5 Creedmoor

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Receivers?

What brands of receivers?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by GGaskill View Post
    What brands of receivers?
    Both AR's are Aero Precision uppers and lowers, A15 lowers, don't recall the model of uppers.
    Weatherby Mark V Accumark with a fluted barrel in 300 Wby Mag.
    Weatherby Mark V Standard in 300 Wby Mag.
    Howa Kuiu Vias in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TruckinT View Post
    Ive been researching what lathe to look at to perform my own gunsmithing, but came across a thread on here about cost of having a barrel threaded. I have 5 rifles Id like to add muzzle brakes to but after finding that thread, its obvious that Id never make the ROI work for my personal use unless I took outside work.

So on that note, Id rather give my business to a PM member. Anyone in the Denver area that is as OCD as me to get the job done right?
    Mile High does most of my threading. They cut the prettiest threads I've seen on my Accuracy International AX 260 barrel. Gunsmithing

15. Likes TruckinT liked this post