What's new
What's new

Difference in chambering a 5R barrel

Bryan M

Plastic
I’ve read that when chambering a 5R barrel there can be a greater chance of developing chatter. Is there any truth to that or do you guys do anything different to help avoid this?

Yes,there is a greater chance at chatter. I think this is due to the odd number of lands vs the even number of flutes on the reamer not cutting all at the same time.. I find that if I drill and pre-bore as much of the chamber as possible, I can avoid these issues. This leaves the reamer fully supported and with a good tight fitting bushing, the throught should not be an issue. Others will chime in with their theories and solutions. Everyone has different equipment and methods of cutting chambers, so there is no single solution. Different bore diameters and chamber sizes will also give different results.You have to experiment and see what works best for you.

Yes it is true and I've had a couple that chattered no matter what I did, pre drill, bore, etc. Probably aggravated with smaller calibers as the reamer can flex more in the throat area.

Thanks for the replies on this. I was curious how prevalent this was, some people say it can be a problem and others have never noticed any difference. The reading I have done on it suggests something to do with a 6 flute reamer and a 5 land barrel.

Thanks for the replies on this. I was curious how prevalent this was, some people say it can be a problem and others have never noticed any difference. The reading I have done on it suggests something to do with a 6 flute reamer and a 5 land barrel.
Most cut rifle barrels have 5 flutes

--
Pat Jones
Firestone CO

Back