What's new
What's new

dimensions for AR-15 flat top upper reciever

CBlair

Diamond
I was playing around with some extra material in the shop and thought I would make a floating handguard for a AR-15. However I wanted to make it so you could install a Picatinny rail on top and have this line up with the ones on the flat top upper receivers that are so popular. As I dont own one myself I would like to know what is the distance from the centerline of the barrel to the top of the Picatinny rail and is this a standard or are all manufacturers different?

Charles

Cody - If you haven't done it, send him a PM directly. I checked and he is still on the forum but sometimes people don't check in on 10 year old threads.

Steve

My guess is that there is no standard for height of a Picatinny rail above the bore. I have at least two flat-top uppers and one is really low and requires extended rings and a lift bar while the other is really high and uses standard rings.

Last edited:
Most of the drawings that were hard to find 10 years ago are now readily available on the net in jpeg or PDF formats. I just did a quick google search for "AR15 upper receiver drawing" and saw the dimension you are asking about in the second image I looked at. I just went to Scribd and downloaded one for free just to see if it would work: Blueprint Upper Receiver M16A4

I believe GGaskill might be on to something though, unless there's been an agreement about rail heights that I'm not aware of it could be a crapshoot. I'd check out some Ebay ads to see if there is any mention of rail height differences and possibly even wade into the muck on AR15.com for an answer. I haven't messed with an AR in a lot of years.

Depending on your capability to use the files, CNCgunsmithing has free file downloads here: CNCGUNSMITHING - [url]www.cncguns.com - Downloads[/url]

Back