What's new
What's new

Custom Moisin Nagant scout scope mount

m-134b

Plastic
Greetings gents,

I'm in the process of building a sporter Moisin Nagant rifle, the base was a Polish M-44. The stock is a nice piece of American Walnut, care of Boyds. All metal work has been done by me, bent bolt handle, relocated to the rear, bayonet and front sight removed, and replaced with a slimline muzzle brake of my own design.

Now to the source of my angst.... I did not want to inlet the stock where the rear sight bracket was mounted, and want this thing to be a scope only rifle. Thus, I want to make a custom scope base that will go from the ejection port to forward most area of where the rear sight was mounted. I have several different ideas as to how to go about this, first is a piece of round stock drilled and bored on the lathe to match the contours, then milled into a suitable scope base. That's a LOT of work! Next idea is to take a piece of bar stock, mount it vertically on an angle plate, and use a long boring bar in a boring head to duplicate the contours. however, that's not going to be the greatest as I'll still have a significant amount of hand fitting left due to not being smart enough to create the slight tapers necessary.....

Does anyone have any other ideas???

Ken

Ken: If I remember right, you would need to build a base that would mount to the left side of that rifle. Then the rings would mount to the base. Is not the rear receiver bridge split to accommodate the bolt handle? Also, usually scope mounts for that rifle are high over the bore so that the shooter had the instance choice of iron sights or scope. I think one of the reasons for that is the rifle might eject up and to the right instead of just right. A low mounted scope may interfere with ejection. However, it has been thirty years since I look at one and everything I just said may be wrong. Are not bases and rings available over the counter? Gary P. Hansen

scope mounting

Thanks for the links guys :) I've actually made some similar to those that replace the rear sight for friends. However, this rifle is getting the "all out" treatment. It has a BEAUTIFUL bore, and should shoot quite well. Also, It's getting a pistol scope, so a mount over the receiver proper isn't necessary. And.... since I'm trying to make this thing as "clean" as a Moisin can be, I'm left with only the option of building from scratch. Mostly just hoping someone has some "tricks" they can share for doing this in less than 5 billion hours.

Ken

In that case why not just get the base close and "glass-bed" it to the receiver as is commonly done with stocks?

Steve.

I'd recommend getting the base mounts as a "scout" configuration.

I bought one of the full length ones and it just looks "cheap". The aluminum doesn't look very nice with steel either.

Another good thing about the scout mount is that you can take it off later and replace the iron sights if you feel like it.

Post some pics when you're done!

Andy.

Got smart with it...

I got mad, then got smart :D I remembered I had some cerrosafe alloy, for making chamber casts.... so........ I took an extra rear sight base, opened it up just a little bit, so it wasn't a 5000lb gorilla fit, and made some "walls' extending back to the area I wanted the scope base to extend to out of some .020 aluminum. Now I've got a perfect match for the contours..... I have a small furnace, and NOW it finally has a good use! Just finished making a sand mold :) Now all I've got to do is melt some aluminum and make the pour! :D This is going to be a neat rifle when done :) I'll parkerize the rifle later in the week, and then post some pics...

Ken

I got mad, then got smart :D I remembered I had some cerrosafe alloy, for making chamber casts.... so........ I took an extra rear sight base, opened it up just a little bit, so it wasn't a 5000lb gorilla fit, and made some "walls' extending back to the area I wanted the scope base to extend to out of some .020 aluminum. Now I've got a perfect match for the contours..... I have a small furnace, and NOW it finally has a good use! Just finished making a sand mold :) Now all I've got to do is melt some aluminum and make the pour! :D This is going to be a neat rifle when done :) I'll parkerize the rifle later in the week, and then post some pics...

Ken

I'm excited to see how it turns out. The mosins really are underrated in my opinion, and it's cool to see someone interested in improving on the design.

Please post some pics for us later. Maybe also some of you making the casting and finishing? I've always wanted to get into sand casting. Just need to find some good plans for making a furnace.

A little O/T; A furnace for melting down scrap brass would be cool, to turn all that non-reloadable brass into something cool, like cast doorknobs, pull-handles, etc. Not sure about fluxing and purity though.

Andy.

Back